rudder holes

nikobrogna

hey guys,
I'm going to have a go at making Sunfish rudder blades and selling them, as one of many jobs to help pay for college. I made a few rudders and dagger-boards a while back, and they sold quickly.

100_2658.jpg

100_2373.jpg

anyway, I went home to Long Island this past weekend, and made a template for the rudder, using one from the local sailing shop (none of those in central Pennsylvania... Bucknell is in Amish country!). However, I forgot to make note of the bolt hole for the tiller. I marked the holes for the pivot bolt, and for the post that the kick up springs attach to, but not the tiller. I'd really appreciate it if someone could let me know where that hole is.
I think that the most accurate way to do this would be to give me two measurements, as accurately as you can:

1. the distance straight from the center of the pivot hole, to the center of the tiller hole
2. the distance straight from the center of the spring hole to the center of the tiller hole

If you can think of a better way of describing the location of the hole to me, even better.
less pertinent, but equally helpful would be for you to give me the diameters of each hole. Unfortunately, I only had access to a fiberglass rudder back home. They seem to use smaller bolts, and some kind of bushing in the bolt holes.

thanks so much in advance,

-Nick
p.s. let me know if you know anyone who needs a new rudder blade! :)

I went home to Long Island this past weekend, and made a template for the rudder, using one from the local sailing shop (none of those in central Pennsylvania... Bucknell is in Amish country!). However, I forgot to make note of the bolt hole for the tiller. I marked the holes for the pivot bolt, and for the post that the kick up springs attach to, but not the tiller. I'd really appreciate it if someone could let me know where that hole is.
I think that the most accurate way to do this would be to give me two measurements, as accurately as you can:

1. the distance straight from the center of the pivot hole, to the center of the tiller hole
2. the distance straight from the center of the spring hole to the center of the tiller hole

If you can think of a better way of describing the location of the hole to me, even better.
less pertinent, but equally helpful would be for you to give me the diameters of each hole. Unfortunately, I only had access to a fiberglass rudder back home. They seem to use smaller bolts, and some kind of bushing in the bolt holes.

thanks so much in advance,

-Nick

= 71 mm

= 60 mm (from the nearest spring hole, the one near the trailing edge)

Yes, I am a metric kind of person (and I copied the measurements from my 2006 blade)

PS: The blade in the picture shows the 'tiller' hole... :confused:

thanks very much. I'll compare these measurements to those that I find on a full size template that another forum member was generous enough to mail me.
When it comes to wood working and machining, I'm stuck in my ways with the English system. However, here at school, I work almost every engineering problem in SI units. If given a problem in English units, I'll often convert to SI before starting, just because the units are that much easier to work with.
The rudder in the pic is one that I sold last year, so it does have all the holes, but I lost the template that I used to make it. Thanks for helping to fill me in.
-Nick

Back