Rudder foil repair

blue_bogan

Help guys. I have chipped my foam cored rudder foil along the trailing edge all the way down near the base, its a huge chunk that is missing. How can i go about repairing this whilst still retaining the correct edge? Would pics help? I can post some tomorrow when it is light

Edit: Also i have a small section of gelcoat missing in the cockpit, and a dent/crack which i will try to get pics of next time at my club, along the gunwale. I also need repair options for both of these

Here is the rudder

Attachments

• Rudder.jpg
    Rudder.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 62
Use the process he showed with out the missing piece. I've run my blade through an oyster bed a few years ago and lost a decent chunk out of the leading edge. I used Marine Tex, (lots of it) to fill the hole and fair back to the orig shape and then painted the board with Krylon spray paint. Not nearly as top notch as what Gouv did, but effective.

Don't know if this question has been asked before but I will ask anyway, if you repair/repaint your foils what happens about the red genuine laser sticker, when you peel it off it leaves a silver foil VOID which I just cleaned off & repainted over. Is my board now none class legal ?

You are OK if you repair and refinish. You may not change the shape.

Aboiut changing the shape. The class has a rule that the blades must not be thicker than 33mm. The blades are 28 mm from the factory.

I contend that a 33mm blade has been altered.

paul Milsom , former International ILCA measurer hedged about that and prety much avoided giving a definite answer to my question about whether a 33mm board must necessarily have had its shape modified.
I know I would prefer not to have irt become necessary for everyone to add 5mm to their blades to create ful speed blades.

My own blades are simply coated with a layer of VC performance Epoxy with no attempt to add thicknbess. The Epoxy needs nearly zero maintenance and I hatge messing with my blades before every race. With teh epoxy I onbly wetsand every few years.....last time wqas 2002 becuase Milsom laughed at my filthy blades...so I spent five minutes with some 500 paper.

I forgot to mention they have gloss, semi-gloss, flat, satin, not very easy to pick up the good one, anybody has the number !?

Back