Rudder Conversion Help and Kits?

jmgardner

Need to convert my old style rudder assembly to the newer style. Have friends enlisted for help. Now I need a couple of good websites that show the ins and outs of this work...any ideas (other than Winline, i've got them on the list)?
How about somewhere that sells a conversion kit that includes all the parts?

Thanks,

James

Wind Line Sails seems to have put a lot of work into the How To help. They are a Sunfish dealer too, did you think to ask them about a conversion kit? (wink-wink, nudge-nudge)

Did you try Google? APS and Layline have kits shown on the net. Good bet they are more expensive than Wind Line.

Yahoo Sunfish Sailing has some different guides and a link back to Wind Line so you get a package deal for the conversion information.

If you find a "cheap" retrofit kit for changing over the rudder from old to new style you'll be the first. Since the parts are made by the Sunfish builder you'll find them all the same prices. About the only item in the retrofit that you'll see much if any price difference will be the port and that will only be a dollar or two difference.
About the only way to save money is finding used parts.

jmg,

Sunfish Sailor Yahoo has the conversion instuctions in the Files Section, Sunfish, Repair Guides, Pre 72 Rudder Conversion. So does Wind Line Sails in the How-To section. Read them both before doing the conversion. I belive when you order the complete kit, instuction and a port come with it. The complete rudder upgrade kit will cost the same reguardless of dealer (except maybe shipping), Mike is correct about that. Installation took less than an hour by myself, with friends, maybe 2 hours. Cut your port opening (don't install it yet), drill your holes for your brackets (inside and out, I through bolted mine), apply the epoxy putty to the inside bracket, bolt every thing together and let set. Install port and you are good to go. Thats the simple dirty explination on how to do it. Good luck.

It seems that the instructions tell me to mount the plate inside and then drill from the outside...why can't i drill from the inside using the plate as a template? I'm afraid that i won't be able to hit the holes in the plate from the outside....or am i reading them wrong?

Mainly because it tough to find a drill that fits inside the hull, and you need the mounting holes CENTERED. sticking a plate inside the hull and hoping you got it exactly on the centerline is really wishful thinking.

jmg,

Mike has a point about the drill fitting inside. Make sure the holes on the inside plate match the holes on the outside plate (clamp them together and pre-drill the holes in the inside plate, allowing for the old mounting block offset if still in place). Locate the outer plate, mark and drill your holes in the transom, do it one hole at a time and temporarily insert the bolts as you go. Once you have all the holes drilled, put some marine caulk on the outside plate, insert the bolts and locate the outer plate on the transom. Next, put the epoxy putty on the inside plate, place it inside and run the bolts into the pre-drilled holes of the inside plate, add nuts and washers and tighten. Install the port, let every thing set up and you are done. The photo shows the upgrade in place on my SF.

Attachments

• IMG_0033 a.jpg
    IMG_0033 a.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 44

Back