rudder cheek

Javelin3919

I bought a newer Sunfish and I am selling a Sunfish and have an older rudder with what appears to be a cast cheek of some sort of metal, I also have a newer wood rudder that appears to have a molded poly or plastic cheek. Which would be the better one to keep? Other than the cheek they look to be the same.

The cast metal cheek should be aluminum, non-magnetic, and indestructible. It's the only type I've seen, and the one I'd keep. Switch the two rudders, and keep the better of the two. (Newer isn't necessarily better). :)

Both are susceptible to fracture, aluminum can get corrosion, plastic will get brittle over time. Either one is fine, I'd keep them with the boat they came with, the composite plastic goes to the newer boat.

Fair winds
Kent

The cast metal cheek should be aluminum, non-magnetic, and indestructible.
I'd keep the aluminum one. The plastic once are susceptible to breaking if they are hit in a collision or in a rough beaching. The aluminum ones last almost forever. I sail a lot in salt water and have not had a corrosion problem, and if you sail in fresh water corrosion is not an issue. Aluminum ones are hard to find. I think they switched to plastic about 20 years ago.

I'd keep the aluminum one. The plastic once are susceptible to breaking if they are hit in a collision or in a rough beaching. The aluminum ones last almost forever. I sail a lot in salt water and have not had a corrosion problem, and if you sail in fresh water corrosion is not an issue. Aluminum ones are hard to find. I think they switched to plastic about 20 years ago.
thanks, thats my plan.

Need rudder, tiller and keel for a project fiberglass Super Sailfish MK II . any info on websites or link for these parts is greatly appreciated...

Check Craigslist, both local and afar as these items can be shipped. I just sold a Sailfish daggerboard. You canalso contact herbaker at aol dot com or aglos at colgate dot edu. I have a tiller, just no rudder or daggerboard at the moment.

Back