rudder blade

lava

well I broke my rudder this weekend, I found one on ebay for $59.99 with free shipping, Is this a good deal? It is a wooden blade with 3 holes looks to line up with hardware, same as mine. I am paying 15.00 extrea to have it shipped faster, but they only take checks or money orders, so I think it will be at least a week. new plastic blades were up around $230.00. So $75.00 total and about a week.

Did you consider repairing your rudder blade?

The price for the E-Bay offering seems quite reasonable, if legitimate.

WELL, THE TILLER BRACKET SPLIT THE WOOD BETWEEN THE PINS THAT HOLD THE SPRING ENDS, SO IT'S JUST THE TOP INCH THAT SPLIT OFF. bUT THE TOP OF THE BLADE WAS TAPPERED SO THERE'S NOT A LOT TO WORK WITH, i'LL TRY AND GLUE IT AND KEEP AS A BACK UP, BUT I'M NOT TO CONFADINT TO HAVE IT AS MY ONLY RUDDER. i HOPE EBAY IS LAGIT, i'VE HAD GOOD LUCK SO FAR WITH PROPS AND STARERD AND SUCH, BUT THE PAYMENT METHOD MAKES ME A LITTLE SUSPISOUS. THANKS MIKE ( WHO CAN'T SPELL)

I did repaire my old rudder, Ill keep it as a back up. The rudder off ebay just came, I'm very happy with it. I was a new fab part, I can still smell the stain. $59.00 I'm happy with it. I'll be on the water today, Mike

Just purchased two rudders and two tillers from the same Ebay seller where you got your rudder. I asked the seller ahead of time if he would take Paypal, since I'm overseas for a month. He said ok, and we did the deal. I'm looking forward to my new rudders and tillers, as I am restoring two Minifish. I also noticed someone selling the new plastic rudders...he makes them himself. $95 if you bid, and I think $125 if you do the buy it now option.

Well, the rudder blade is made perfictly, a great copy. As I looked at the blade, it seems to be made out of pine, or some other soft wood. I may be wrong about this but I am a woodworker my self, and work a lot in pine. I tried to ask the sell about this but haven't gotten a responce. Because I am not sure about the new blade, I have been using the repaired rudder. I guess I didn't need a new blade after all. If you find out the materal used please pass it along to me. If I am wrong about this I apologize to the sell, but lack of responce makes me wonder. good luck, Mike

Fernando Santos says in his Ebay add that the centerboard is made of Extra Dry Red Oak. Know that he sells centerboards, rudders and tillers at Ebay for Sunfish sailboats, the assumption is that the rudder is also made of extra dry red oak. Its just my guess. I hope its not pine. I know that Fernado is slow about replying... I think it's just his online personality. I've experienced the same kind of response.

I bought my rudder the same ebay seller ans i'm so happy. Now this seller have a web site and sell all sunfish parts for tips, if somebody interested i have the site address. email me at [email protected]

Back