Rooster outhaul system

I have a 4:1 version of the harken rooster booster. I am happy with it. It came with everything I needed to fit it to the boom, including gooseneck block. All the ropes came ready spliced and at the right length. Sometimes the outhaul does need a hard tug. But looking at it I'd go for the harken version as it comes with the strap and the 6:1 version, compared with the Ronstan version where these are extra.

How does this system tie into the vang and the cunningham? I bought my Laser new 14 years ago and I've sailed it a lot but I just started racing this year. I've noticed that my outhaul, vang and cunningham is much different from the pictures I see on this site. It looks like, on most of the pictures, all three components come together where the vang would be connected to the mast on my boat and then run down into some type of blocks on the deck behind the mast. Does anyone have a good description of this whole set-up? Can you buy a kit that has it all, can you buy one component at a time? What are the advantages?

I am considering upgrading my outhaul system to one of either two "Rooster booster systems".

System 1: http://www.roostersailing.com/merch...ore_Code=1&Product_Code=1840&Category_Code=lo

System 2: http://www.roostersailing.com/merch...ore_Code=1&Product_Code=1837&Category_Code=lo

Has anyone got any experience with either of these system, or any personal opinions/inputs on which would be better. All help much appreciated! :D

Hi, i would make up the ouhaul system instead of buying the kits, its much cheaper and better fun tinkering i think. I use a rooster strap and block and hook (£18) two air blocks on the boom (£6.95 ea) and some vectran and rope (£ not much). Another good tip with the outhaul rope is instead of tying a loop in the rope to stop it hanging down is to cut a strip of small motorcycle inner tube (patent pending) and feed it over the boom and then put the outhaul rope through it, its better than the loop of the rope snagging and it does the same job of stopping the rope hanging you, also the outhaul rope runs smoothly through it. I will try and send some pics of my system.

Back