Rooster Laser Sail Clew Strap

JohnK

Does anybody have any first hand experience with the Rooster Laser Sail Clew Strap as found at APS? Is it class legal to use? Can it be used with the Harken clew hook and if so, do you still pass it through the eye of the clew hook or do you go through the clew grommet directly?

http://www.apsltd.com/Tree/d3000/e1167.asp

Thanks in advance,

JohnK

JohnK said:
Does anybody have any first hand experience with the Rooster Laser Sail Clew Strap as found at APS? Is it class legal to use? Can it be used with the Harken clew hook and if so, do you still pass it through the eye of the clew hook or do you go through the clew grommet directly?

http://www.apsltd.com/Tree/d3000/e1167.asp

Thanks in advance,

JohnK

The Rooster Laser Sail Clew Strap is class legal and I saw many in use at the Laser Worlds in Turkey.

I have had the chance to try out the John Christianson boom sleeve (NOT class legal - yet), the Rooster Clew Strap and my standard spectra tie down. When considering all them together I would say the Clew Strap works a bit better than standard spectra but has the HUGE advantage of being much easier to put on and take off, especially when the sail is flapping away in the breeze. Since my return from Turkey I have converted over to the Rooster strap just for that reason. I have not tried to use a clew hook with either the Rooster or spectra tie downs, I pass the strap through the clew of the sail to get it as close to the boom as possible.

The John Christianson boom sleeve works so much better than either of the other clew tie downs that it really has to be experienced to even understand how much better the whole outhaul system could be. It is simply amazing, IMHO. While the ILCA World Council does tend to move slowly on these issues (which is really a good thing) it is considering proposing a class rule change to allow this system. But I would not start holding my breath (or expecting it under the Christmas tree) just yet.

Anyway, until the boom sleeve is approved, the Rooster Clew Strap does work quite well.

Tracy

I have not used the Rooster strap, but my homemade Spectra "Loop" strap works great. I have no reason to change.

I have also had experience with the Rooster clew tie down strap. However, my conclusion seems to be bit different. I will agree that it is extremely easy to put on and take off however, out of the maybe five times that I used it, twice the velcro came undone leaving my stranded. I was certain I put the thing on corretly, too. The two times that it came undone on me it was around 20 knots of wind, in lighter air, I had no problems. After the second time I was so infuriated with the damn [choice words inserted here] thing I pitched it into the sea and got a tow back to the club.

What a way to spent $19.50 plus shipping...

Since then I have used my spectra and had never ever had a problem. Maybe this one was just some sort of fluke but I say what's not broken, don't fix!

I use the Rooster strap. I think it is great. It seems to slide much easier than any spectra system. I put the strap through the Harken hook and never take it off. The strap then seems a little long when used this way but at least it is less to rig. Could the Velcro wear when put through the sail, due to taking off and on each time you rig? Could wear be the reason macaws16 was getting problems? The way it is designed it does seem to trap the Velcro end very securely.

The John Christianson idea looks like the best (I haven’t tried it) as long as it doesn’t create digs in the boom which it gets stuck in making them worse etc. etc. and eventually jamming.

Phil

i have looked at that in it looks cool but i just use a line with some beeds* on it with knots so it slides better.

I also McLube the end of my boom. The spectra line slides very easily.

Rob B said:
I have not used the Rooster strap, but my homemade Spectra "Loop" strap works great. I have no reason to change.

I use the Rooster Strap and it works really well. Certainly better than a tie down rope. I find it slides easily up and down the boom, and does not show any tendancy to want to come undone. Pulling the sail down hard onto the boom is very easy, thanks to not having to tie a knot, which always results in a bit of slipage.

I leave it permantly on the sail. I hook my Harken block onto the sail, and the elastic onto the ring on the tie down strap.

Paul

Back