Rooster 8.1 - US

EVO

I see on Rooster's website they had a regatta in the UK with the 8.1.

Has there been any promotion of the Rooster 8.1 in the U.S. yet? On be half of large people everywhere I hope this thing catches on. I'm not even sure you can buy the pieces here yet.

I still question whether the mast step can handle the additional load. I guess only time will tell on that one.

My simple understanding of the loads of sailboats is that the factor that determines the load on the hull is the righting moment of the sailor. This means that the size of the rig is not important. The key factor is the weight ( and height) of the sailor. This means that a 100kg. salior will exert the same load on the hull with a standard rig as he would with a 8.1 rig. The only difference being the wind speed that he would be overpowered in and have to depower. ( 20 knots for the standard and 15knots for the 8.1)

On a very similar topic, has anyone heard the theory that you need to redrill the rudder blade to be able to control the 8.1?
I was told this over the weekend, but haven't heard it before.
Apparently the blade needs to go almost vertical, although I personally cant see how this will make any significant difference, except making the load a little lighter on the tiller.

Back on topic, I think phosphor may have misread that post above, we shouldn't need to do either of those things, as the loadings wont change,
EXCEPT...
running into the back of a big wave while scorching downwind. The rig will load up more at that moment than a standard or radial will, so if there's any weakness, the step could potentially rip out forwards if the foredeck is soft.

Acceptable risk, I say! I'm getting one in about 60 days time!

madyotte,

Are you buying the 8.1 rig from JDE? Do you have it ordered? What's the cost they quoted you?

Back