Righting a turtled Laser

Philip Minnion

I recently came back to the class after 27 years. I managed to turtle my boat going through start finish line and it took a lot of time and outside assistance to get it upright. By the time I got the daggerboard back in and got on top of the boat, it just would not come up. Later when I got ashore, I noted that the entire upper mast section had flooded and the weight of this really created the problem of working against my weight in trying to right the boat. I don't remember having problems with spars filling up with water in my old laser. My new one is a brand new Vanguard boat.

Is this a common problem or was I just too slow getting the boat back upright. I was in the water for about 30 minutes.

Phil

Phil,
A turtled boat can be hard to get up again, but I would not blame the filled mast: water in water does not increase the weight. Nor is this a problem with a particular mast: no laser-mast is waterproof, and if a boat is turtled for a while it will fill up.
You write that it took you some time to get your daggerboard back in. Did it fall out? That should not happen. This could, in fact, be the reason that it turtled.
When I capsize "the right way," I slide over the hull on my daggerboard and right it immediately, often without getting wet. People think that this requires "athleticism," but all it takes is a quick reaction. If I capsize because of a deathroll or I end up in the water for some reason, I mostly let the boat go immediately and swim around it. If you try to climb over it from the side that is supposed to be up (the deck) you will definitely turtle it.
Mostly turtles can be prevented, but when you turtle it and your daggerboard is there, as it should be(!) stand on one side and let the boat slowly get back. The huge force is NOT created by the water in the mast, but by the sail. You are dragging a laser-sail sideways through the water! So make sure that the sheet can and does ease out, so that you have less resistance. Even in that case turtling is hard upon the boat, so take it slowly.

Anyways, welcome back to lasersailing!

Gerard

I recently turtled my boat and fell into the water to windward. I swam around to the other side. The daggerboard had slid down part way (it was firmly attached with shockcord), so I just stuck my feet under the boat into the cockpit and pushed it up again. I then pulled myself up just enough to grab the edge of the daggerboard and hung onto it while placing my toes on the gunwale. This got the boat into an ordinary capsized on its side position. Then I hung onto the board with arms and pulled my legs up over it too, so I looked like a sloth, I guess. Just hanging there for a while brought the boat up, and I was able to get in and sail away. It took about five minutes. I know I've got to do better than that, but I still had fun. My hair was dry until my husband helped me to take down the mast, and he managed to pour the water that had filled it onto my head! Well, what's a little river water among friends?

Merrily

Back