Right On Trailer?

sadkins372

I have been shopping for a used 2-3 boat trailer for our Sunfish. I see a few options, but thinking about buying a new Right On dolly trailer with a rack. Thoughts and experiences? Is the 31.2” spacing of the rack enough? This is not quite as long as the cockpit.

I found an advert for Alcort trailer that looks to have similar spacing, but has a support for the bow.
IMG_7090.jpeg

IMG_5043.jpeg
IMG_5042.png

I have been shopping for a used 2-3 boat trailer for our Sunfish. I see a few options, but thinking about buying a new Right On dolly trailer with a rack. Thoughts and experiences? Is the 31.2” spacing of the rack enough? This is not quite as long as the cockpit.

I found an advert for Alcort trailer that looks to have similar spacing, but has a support for the bow.View attachment 57907
View attachment 57905View attachment 57906
I have a Right On Trailer. It’s beyond easy and convenient. My only issue is that in the state of Illinois I’d have an easier time performing my own brain surgery than getting the darn thing licensed. …and this is after I purchased retail from the Right On company!

I have a Right On Trailer. It’s beyond easy and convenient. My only issue is that in the state of Illinois I’d have an easier time performing my own brain surgery than getting the darn thing licensed. …and this is after I purchased retail from the Right On company!
Good to hear your good experience. Do you have the rack for a second boat?

Sorry for the pains to get a license. PA is difficult as well.

While there are a few blobs of foam stiffening the cockpit to the hull, we'd be more comfortable with a support under the keel, or the daggerboard trunk, or the mast step. Or use wide sling straps to spread the load.

All said, there are thousand of variations on the trailer theme and most folks have not had issues with their setup of choice. Just don't forget pool noodles and duct tape.

Double trailer loaded.jpg

I've been using one all year, mostly for local stuff. It has made moving boats back and forth to the beach and local regattas a real breeze - I can now load the trailer by myself so my wife is a lot happier. The main knocks on the Right-On trailers:

1. The old generation (which includes mine which was new last fall) do not do well in the elements. I store mine indoors, but others who have not have had massive premature rust damage. So either you should store it inside or just do what you can to keep it dry or sand/ re spray paint the finish. Even with mine living indoors, I have a couple of tiny spots from where water has dripped on it from my boat.

2. Registering it. You have to assemble it yourself so you of course need to get it inspected afterward and then figure out registration.

3. The issue with Dynamic dollies hasn't been an issue for me with Sunfish, but for my Lasers, I've heard not to trailer it on the side tabs. Who knows.

IN SUMMARY: I am a big fan. I'm not gearing up to take it 200+ miles although I'm sure it could manage, but for 50-60 mile trips on Long Island or across the Sound or shorter, it's been great.

I’ve taken my Right On all over the place. NJ to IL was my longest trip this year. I by some great amount of luck got one that hasn’t rusted much and it’s 10 years old. But I’ve seen ones two years old that have massive rust. I love mine and use it for my Laser and Sunfish. It’s made my life a lot easier.

Unlike Peter, did not have to get mine inspected after I assembled it.

Hello-
I'm new to this group and look forward to learning, and perhaps even sharing info. I am an experienced sailor- have a 23' MacGregor Venture Newport which for various reason have not put in the water for a few years (it is going in next summer...) Recently bought a 1985 used Sunfish in good condition and am having a great time with it.

I have what I understand is called a tote to wheel it from my home to the boat ramps (a few streets away). The tote is a 2 wheel device that is attached via the daggerboard slot under the boat. It does a good job transporting the Sunfish, but unless I am missing something, it is a pain the get the Sunfish on and off of it. I have to tip the boat to get it in or out of the slot.

I'm considering this type of device (hope the picture comes through), which looks like the Sunfish would rest on the pads and I can push or pull it to move it from the bow or stern. I would place it near the daggerboard slot for balance, but it would not go into the slot.

Any thoughts as to whether this will work without damaging the boat?

Short of buying a trailer, what do others do ?

Thanks very much.

Jim
Boston, MA

Hello-
I'm new to this group and look forward to learning, and perhaps even sharing info. I am an experienced sailor- have a 23' MacGregor Venture Newport which for various reason have not put in the water for a few years (it is going in next summer...) Recently bought a 1985 used Sunfish in good condition and am having a great time with it.

I have what I understand is called a tote to wheel it from my home to the boat ramps (a few streets away). The tote is a 2 wheel device that is attached via the daggerboard slot under the boat. It does a good job transporting the Sunfish, but unless I am missing something, it is a pain the get the Sunfish on and off of it. I have to tip the boat to get it in or out of the slot.

I'm considering this type of device (hope the picture comes through), which looks like the Sunfish would rest on the pads and I can push or pull it to move it from the bow or stern. I would place it near the daggerboard slot for balance, but it would not go into the slot.

Thanks very much.

Jim
Boston, MA
Get a dolly made specifically for a Sunfish. A Laser dolly will work just as well. Please do not get a random dolly based on my experience. I started with one of those center point dollies and reaggravated my back pain. I had to lift the front of the boat up and ask someone else place the thing underneath. Then bought a Vevor dolly and it was slightly better, but a major pain. The Sunfish did not slide on and off very well or not at all. I see so many that do not take into account the cost of a good dolly.
Now we have three Seitech and/or Dynamic dollies for our three Sunfish and enjoy launching. The easier it is to launch the more you will sail. If it is difficult you will sail less and your friends will run when they see you getting close to your boat. :)

The Right-On trailer I posted about in this thread is not for launching. However, it is has an option to support a Sunfish on a dolly. And they have a trailer and dolly combo available to purchase. If you are not planning to trailer your Sunfish you only need a good dolly.

I have seen others use a trailer to launch and they tend to not sail very much either. The weight of the trailer and Sunfish make it very heavy.

It does a good job transporting the Sunfish, but unless I am missing something, it is a pain the get the Sunfish on and off of it. I have to tip the boat to get it in or out of the slot.

Thanks very much.

Jim
Boston, MA
If you were to cut off two (or more) inches off the top of the "Tote", would that make a difference? (There's 14 inches of daggerboard trunk to hold it in place).

I have a home built trailer that is similar to the idea of the right-on. All launching is done with the Seitech dolly with the “offroad” tires. Dolly us supported near the forward end and under the crossbar.

I’ve added the multi-sport rack from right-on to Frankenstein so I could haul my son’s Opti.

Loading/unloading the sunfish is a simple task by myself and I can rig in the parking lot or beach. Also allows for me to easily move the boat off the trailer for work at the house.
71416378222__C3B357A3-F11D-451E-96D0-72CF2B98D857.jpeg
IMG_2161.jpeg

fwiw - I'm planning to sell our multi-boat Seitech/Karavan trailer as soon [as soon I sell the Sunfish on it]. If you are looking to buy new, this set-up was probably more expensive than most, but it has worked out really, really well.

It's Seitech's '5-boat' set-up, meaning two boats (typically Lasers or similar) can also carried on each side, resting on the extended bottom bars, up on their side against the pads.

We've used this mostly as a two-boat set-up, with the top bar holding the Thule carrier for gear, plus there's room there for a kayak. The bars are spaced to allow for carrying a Seitech dolly on top of each boat. Plus there's a spindle specifically for the dolly wheels, towards the front of the trailer.

This probably looks over-the-top, but it was always really, really convenient for regatta travel.

Attachments

• Trailer C.jpg
    Trailer C.jpg
    664.1 KB · Views: 63
  • Trailer B.jpg
    Trailer B.jpg
    643.5 KB · Views: 70
  • Trailer A.jpg
    Trailer A.jpg
    672.6 KB · Views: 66

Back