Rigging While on the H2O

LaserChef

Laser (Radial Pro) Newbies need help!

At our lake location we are forced by space and landscape constraints to do much of the rigging on the water. Additionally we have a steep drop off in depth, making standing alongside while rigging nearly impossible.

This obviously makes for a challenging effort any day that the breeze is above 5 knots. To add to the task. It frequently blows dead onshore. Once we get the clew tie down on it's a battle to hold onto the boat, much less finish the rigging.

We're (I'm) trying to get my kids self sufficient in rigging the boat, but they end up tired, discouraged and not in the mood to sail after the wrestling match that results from the above.

We've tried both a PWC lift and a pick-up mooring buoy with mixed results. We just don't have enough level real estate to rig and launch from our dolly.

Your thoughts and suggestions please.

Put everything together on the trolley except leave the boom on thegooseneck but not attached to the sail and the centreboard in the cockpit. As you put the boat in the water use a hook to attach to the outhaul to the sail and pull it tight. If you use a quick release clew tie down (see drLaser.org) you can put this on when you get further out. Otherwise, rig the boat completely exept leave the mainsheet out of the ratchet block. This will alow the boom to swing in any direction. When you launch, you can sort the mainsheet out properly.

At my team's location we are basically at the end of a dirt road with a nice new boathouse, but not much else. What we have are these proboally 1.5' floating blocks that hook together and can form a dock. They're fairly innexpensive and we launch off them and then tie the boats up next to them to complete rigging. All you need is some rope, cinderblocks to act as anchors, and of course, money. We also have real wooden docks but the CFJ's take up all that space. I think the floating blocks are a great, and innexpensive rigging platform.

macwas16 said:
At my team's location we are basically at the end of a dirt road with a nice new boathouse, but not much else. What we have are these proboally 1.5' floating blocks that hook together and can form a dock. They're fairly innexpensive and we launch off them and then tie the boats up next to them to complete rigging. All you need is some rope, cinderblocks to act as anchors, and of course, money. We also have real wooden docks but the CFJ's take up all that space. I think the floating blocks are a great, and innexpensive rigging platform.

Hi

Any advice on where to get these blocks, and how to use them? Can you attach them to a moored laser 2 to prevent capsizing at the mooring. (last week, my laser 2 capsized at mooring and turtled twice. It seems to be unstable at mooring, even if stored with only the mast stepped and a cover on.

Tom A said:
Hi

Any advice on where to get these blocks, and how to use them? Can you attach them to a moored laser 2 to prevent capsizing at the mooring. (last week, my laser 2 capsized at mooring and turtled twice. It seems to be unstable at mooring, even if stored with only the mast stepped and a cover on.

These are prob bigger then you need, but....
http://www.overtons.com/modperl/overtons/order/items2.cgi?request=aisle&catnum=2M11
Check West Marine also.

The cheap way out would be to strap a 2"x4"x8' across the deck at the shrouds, with a couple of plastic milk jugs (or other similar floation) at the ends. This will stabilize and prevent the boat from rolling into a capsize.

Get a clew hook. It's the best $10 you can spend, but make sure it's one designed for a clew hook (they have a special shape). With this you can leave the outhaul and clew tiedown permanently attatched and it take 2 seconds to get it attatched, and 1 second to get it off.

good luck

49208 said:
These are prob bigger then you need, but....
http://www.overtons.com/modperl/overtons/order/items2.cgi?request=aisle&catnum=2M11
Check West Marine also.

The cheap way out would be to strap a 2"x4"x8' across the deck at the shrouds, with a couple of plastic milk jugs (or other similar floation) at the ends. This will stabilize and prevent the boat from rolling into a capsize.

Thanks. We built a little platform with 2 x 6 inch boards, and will set up floats and buckets.
TA

Back