Rigging Main Sheet Ratchet Block

Wildbank

I took my maiden voyage on my 2007 Laser Pro this evening. It is great! I am certain I am not running the main sheet line through the ratchet block correctly as it does not hold the main sheet in place. It only provides friction if I pull upward on the free end of the line. What am I doing wrong?

Am I operating the ratchet block correctly? It seems that it should hold the position of the main sheet when you loosen your grip on the line. No?

try putting the mainsheet through the other end

when you pull on the free end, the rachet should make a clicking noise

It sounds like you need to feed the line through the block the other way. You should hear the block clicking as you pull in the sheet. The friction should be there when you let the sheet out.
This just becomes one of those checklist things you do before you put in the water. Cause it's a major pain if you have to fix it on the fly.

ThanksRoss B and Sidewinder for the quick reply. To clarify...it does make a clicking sound when I draw the sheet in.

There is alot of room between the pulley and the bottom of the feed opening which in turn allows the line to run back out when you take away upward pressure.

Does the mainsheet ever lock in position so you can let go with your hand for a moment?

ThanksRoss B and Sidewinder for the quick reply. To clarify...it does make a clicking sound when I draw the sheet in.

There is alot of room between the pulley and the bottom of the feed opening which in turn allows the line to run back out when you take away upward pressure.

Does the mainsheet ever lock in position so you can let go with your hand for a moment?

No. A ratchet block will not hold the sheet if you let go with your hand altogether. You are supposed to maintain some tension on the sheet with your hand. It's just much less tension than you would need without the ratchet.

Thanks Old Geezer. I appreciate the answer. I suppose I was expecting a locking assembly to free up my hands on occassion. Hence the need for gloves too... right?

Thanks Old Geezer. I appreciate the answer. I suppose I was expecting a locking assembly to free up my hands on occassion. Hence the need for gloves too... right?

It depends. You may need gloves if your hands are new to sailing. But many sailors manage without, at least in warm weather.

If you really want to be able to free up your hands you need either a center cam cleat as part of the block assembly, or two deck-mounted cam cleats. However most Laser sailors prefer not to cleat off the sheet. It's been discussed several times before in the forum and you should find those discussions if you use the search option.

Hi all,
ok Wildbank, once main block mecchanism is clear to you the only way to make some mistakes in rigging is distraction or a too quick rigging of your boat.
let me suggest to use some "rituals" when rig...
I mean try to observe a sort of sequence when you mount control lines and do everything the same way, create some keys in your mind! (since you'll be enough experienced;))... i.e.: when rig the main sheet remember to start leading it through the ratchet block (towards the boom middle block) you have to find always the friction if you hear the clicking pull it out turn the block and go again. Don't forget to test the controls work properly before launch...!
Ciao

One thing I found when returning to Lasers after may years away is not to modify stuff too quickly. after my first sail I wanted cleats, to cut the tiller ext'n shorter, etc. But I held off and no I'm used to the boat I find I don't need cleats, the tiller ext'n is a good length, etc., etc.

That is not to say get or don't get cleats, just worth waiting and getting used to things first then see what you really want to change.

Ian

Deimos has the right idea. Sail it for a little while. See what works for you and what doesn't. You'll probably find that hiking harder and swimming less will gain you much more than debating the merits of 12:1 vs 15:1 vang.

Back