Rig sail and mast in very windy conditions

Hi,

What technique do you use when sliding the sail onto mast and then lowering the mast into the step in very windy conditions.

When its windy, what I find easiest (and advise the smaller new sailors to do when I'm instructing) when rigging on shore, is to turn the boat beam on to the wind, and lift the top of the mast up first, making absolutely sure its pointed directly into the wind.

Keep the bottom of the mast at ground level at this stage, just keep lifting until you feel the lifting force of the wind is starting to balance out with the gravity on the mast, IE you're able to hold it in that position with virtually no effort.

From here its just a pretty easy lift into the hole. Once the base of the mast is sat over the hole in the deck, just shuffle your hands down the mast, letting the wind do most of the work for you. keep a good grip because as the mast get upright, the wind wants to tear it out of your hands, so just shove it straight down into the step in one, fluid, lift up and shove down, sort of movement.
If there's a spare body passing by, try to get them to help hold the bottom bit steady.

Then turn the boat head to wind again, so it doesn't blow over!

All of this is after I've slid the sail over the mast, which is quite easy on the grass, just keep the mast pointed downwind while you do it.

One other thing if you want to take down the mast in windy conditions have on person standing in the back of the cockpit and have one standing in front of the mast so the guy in front of the mast can lower it down to you. This works particularly well when the docks are crowded.

Always try and let the wind help you. If you lean the rig into the wind then it takes some of the weight for you. Once its leaning away from the wind you have no control whatsover.
If you can find any shelter to use when you put your rig up that helps too. I rig behind a row of trees that block the prevailing wind so even in a gale its not too bad.
And on the rare occasions where it really is howling, there is nothing wrong with grabbing someone else to help.

Back