Restoring / Rerigging 14.2 (forestay question)

Maxwellgregory

Greetings all, we chanced upon a Capri 14.2 (early 90s model?) and are quite determined to make a go of it. I have 2 questions (so far)

#1 How do we replace this centerboard hold down? Is there some sort of toggle? (Pic attached)

#2 should the mainstay be a solid cable or a cable lead on each end?
History I would love a pic of how the mainstay attaches to both the mast and the drum at the bow. I’ve found so many diagrams of rigging everything BUT this component and my YouTube searches have come up fruitless.

Thanks in advance for helping a couple of newbies.

Attachments

• IMG_0608.jpeg
    IMG_0608.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0607.jpeg
    IMG_0607.jpeg
    582.9 KB · Views: 83
The "hold down" for the centerboard should be a doubled-up bungee that clips to a d-ring on the front of the board and runs to a pad eye in the stern.
The rotted-out stuff in the cockpit is the hiking straps (2" nylon webbing) and a bungee line that keeps the elevated off the sole.

@FreeRide thank you, as far as replacing that bungee line that keeps the hiking straps elevated, it appears to have been anchored inside the hull. Is that held with toggles or am I meant to access the inside of the hull somehow to anchor with knots?

@FreeRide thank you, as far as replacing that bungee line that keeps the hiking straps elevated, it appears to have been anchored inside the hull. Is that held with toggles or am I meant to access the inside of the hull somehow to anchor with knots?
My hull is open once the hatch board is removed. It looks like you have to remove that box to get/reach into it. I just put a stopper knot in the bungee inside the hull.

Back