Question Replacing a Malfunctioning, Corroded Auto Bailer

P_H_test

Hello, All

I was wondering if anyone has had any luck replacing their 'old style' auto bailer with a new, plastic system.

My sunfish is likely from before 1972 and the bailer is totally non functioning. It lets water in passively. I had planned on using silicon to seal the system in the mean time.

I am familiar with the precess of removing the old bailer but am unsure if an attempt to install a new bailer system would be appropriate and function correctly on such an old boat.

Anyone have an opinion on the matter?

Thank you for you time,
Patrick

After years of trying to save the old De Persia bailers, I've found it isn t worth the trouble. :confused: If cost is an issue, resort to sealing the hole with a expandable 1¼-inch rubber automotive "freeze-plug".

Start here, for this "search":

Yes, the newer plastic bailer will fit, just be sure you get the right length- there is a long and a short shaft. Not sure which your year uses. My ‘79 was a short.

Reactions: LVW
Hello, All

I was wondering if anyone has had any luck replacing their 'old style' auto bailer with a new, plastic system.

My sunfish is likely from before 1972 and the bailer is totally non functioning. It lets water in passively. I had planned on using silicon to seal the system in the mean time.

I am familiar with the precess of removing the old bailer but am unsure if an attempt to install a new bailer system would be appropriate and function correctly on such an old boat.

Anyone have an opinion on the matter?

Thank you for you time,
Patrick
Your leak is probably the ball (as in " ball check". It can be installed from inside or outside. You may have to buy it (them) by the dozen. :confused:

Silicone will later resist paint, and probably resist other treatments as well. I use "Shoe-Goo", which gets stronger as it ages. Not sure about painting later, but can be removed with difficulty--so use black instead of clear.

Last edited:
I just got this at AutoZone for like $5 bucks. Done.

1688475786460.png

Reactions: LVW
For ease of use, I replaced the nut with a threaded 2" plastic handle ("nut").

If your Chinese version is metric-threaded, keep that in mind when ordering.

Back