Replacement Sails- Window or no Window

fisherscout

The Sunfish I just bought (my first) has a dry-rotted sail that is about to shred. When I replace it with a recreational sail, should I buy one with a window or not? I don't plan to race or sail in very crowded conditions, and am afraid the window will limit sail life. Also, are the cheaper recreational sails okay instead of the standard AMF sunfish sail. My boat is 1965 and red.

I would get a window, its hard to sail one without it anymore. Jsdeimel has a good point, if you are not planing on racing the boat, a non "sunfish" sail is good for you. They are really the same thing, but they arnt made by north sails, so they are cheaper and they don't have a sunfish on the top. But also, they are not class legal.

Less expensive, but not necessarily "cheaper"! I have one from FX sails with a Sunfish at the top of the sail. It is a great sail. I wouldn't bother paying needless extra money for a class legal sail.

Thanks for all the advice. You have eased my mind about a topic I had no idea about. I hope I can help other beginners some day.

Hi Everyone,

I was questioning replacing my sail with one of the $140.00 ones form FX, but after reading your forum I will place the order. I too am a weekend warrior. I love my Sunfish..:D

Thanks

Does anyone know if a race sail is bigger and / or better than a regular sail? My son is starting to race on our community lake and his sail needs replacement. one of the sailing instructors said race sails are bigger and better but so far the only thing i can find on internet is a race sail that is 75 squ ft with a window. Am I missing something?

Thanks

Using the draft to measure the area a recreational sail is the standard 75 square feet. The racing sail runs apx 82 square feet although it's "outline" give a 75 square foot measurement.
And yes if you race you need the racing sail to be competative.
If the others are also using a new plastic dagger board you'll eventually need to upgrade from the wooden one as well.

North Sails is, to the best of my knowledge, the only maker of sunfish racing sails. They are white, have a window, and are a bit fuller than recreational sails. You can find them all over the internet. I have been happy with Annapolis Performance Sailing.

http://www.apsltd.com/Tree/d90000/e88961.asp

This'll take you to the sail section, choose the one called Racing sail ~$400.

-James

Sunfish are a "manufacturer" Class, hence all parts come from the manufacturer via its dealership network. So while the sails are manufactured by North Sails (in its Sri Lanka loft), they are purchased from any dealer. The racing sail was developed by Hans Fogh, then with the Toronto North loft, and he did a ton of sail testing and shape development to come up with the sail shape now used for the "Racing Sail." Recreational cut sails are cut from a different pattern, the panels are not necessarily cut to develop a sail suited for best racing performance but will adequately drive the boat forward. A Racing Sail or a Recreational sail bought from a Sunfish dealer that have the Sunfish Class approved label is legal for racing (smaller, lighter people might be happy with the "rec" if it's seldom light wind where they live).

If you are only going to be using the boat for recreational purposes, a used sail or a new one from any source will give you many years of service. The trick is in the storage. Keep it up and away from rodents and moisture. Keep it somewhere that there are few, if any, vibrations. If traveling, do not wrap the sail around the mast and the booms, roll up the sail to the booms and minimize the wear potential by how you line up the sail rings. A bag helps protect it all. Some fanatics take the sail off the booms for the winter and hang it in a garage or basement. Others hang the booms with the sail hanging down. Be sure to store it dry. If you sail in salt water, rinse if after every sail.

Windows will last as long as the sail, but may become difficult to see through. There are plastic polishes that help restore the visibility. Mostly you just need to be able to see if there is a blob moving toward you or not. I won't sail a Sunfish again without one, recreational or racing.

As a slight highjack of the issue, back before Hans Fogh sold his loft to North I was looking for a "special" sail for my fish. I had seen white top/bottom with alternating red strips and red top/bottom with alternating white strips. So through a dealer I requested if they could put a sail together for me using all the red panels.
I actually got a call from the loft about it asking to make sure what I wanted was what they though it was. 2 months later I got the all red sail complete with it's class approved label sewn on and the then 4" X whatever narrow long legal window. The sail had an extreme draft and the heavy fleetcloth for sail material.
I have since measured it against my later racing sails and it fits almost exactly except it is heavier/better cloth, better grommets and better grommet locations. That sail has been on a boat for at least 20 years or more now and still not blown out and on it's third owner. I've traded that old one for a brand new racing sail for testing and it's right on a par with the racing sail. I figure I was one of the prototypes for the racing sail cut.
BUT, I also found out to produce this longer lasting sail with the better materials and stitching would jack the price of the sail to over $700.

Back