Repairing stripped screws

ivy

I had a small incident on my '69 sunfish last week. She has the old style rudder.

I had her in Lake Michigan, on a breezy afternoon (16kts gusting to 20). Somehow, landing in the surf, I managed to put a side load on the rudder, and managed to pull two of the three screws that hold the upper rudder bracket loose.

What the best method to repair the threads in the backing block?

I'm not really interested in upgrading to the new rudder, given the limited amount I sail this boat. I'd rather spend money on a new sail (mine's original) or perhaps a modern daggerboard.

As I already had taken apart the rudder, I took the time to strip off the remaining deck hardware, and give the deck a much needed buff and wax. What is the preferred method to reseal the hardware to the deck?

pictures?

i'm not an expert but what about pouring resin into the hole and putting the screws back in before the resin hardens..

rivets might also be an option, but i'd wait for someone more experienced to give you an expert suggestion..

While pouring resin in the holes, then jamming the screws in will definitely work, there is a humongous downside. If you ever need to get those screws back out - fuggedaboutit.

The fix is quite simple. You need to fill the holes in. Although lots of things would work, I'd recommend picking up some white Marine Tex. Mix it up, then pack the holes full. Wait for the MT to harden, then just drill in new holes, and either use your existing screws if they are in good shape, or new stainless screws to reinstall the fitting. You can either use Silicone or something, also in a tube, called 5200, which is better, but more expensive and truly overkill for this job.

Its an easy fix.

BB

Thanks.

That's exactly the advice I was looking for.

I'll be reusing the screws, as they are in good shape. They are large, bronze wood screws, as shown in the picture below.

I actually managed to bend the bracket as well, about 1/8". I spent some careful time on the vise getting it flat within about 0.010".

Attachments

• 000_0009.jpg
    000_0009.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 39

Back