Removing Gooseneck Plug

windsong

Folks
The rivets popped which hold the kicker attachment onto the boom. As the bodies of the rivets are inside the boom the only option to clear the holes meant forcing the bits inside the boom. I therefore have to open the boom to get them out. I have removed the rivet holding the gooseneck plug onto the boom (chopped the head off & hammered the remainder into the boom), but no matter what I try I cannot get the plug itself to budge to get it out of the boom. Is there a knack to this I am missing, or is it just "brute force ignorance" I'll need to try to get it free?

Any help wold be appreciated.

Thanks

It is very simple to accomplish.
PLEASE!!!
Read this entire post before you begin.

The perfect tool is a foot long half inch metal shaft with blunt ends.
Smaller will work, Bigger won't fit.
A really big nail will do the job
A chunk of 3/8 inch rebar will do the job.

Slide the shaft through the gooseneck hole and inside the boom.

Tip the boom so the shaft slides gently all the way to the clew end of the boom.

Pay attention and don't hold the boom over anything breakable like your toes..

Then continue....

Tip the boom gooseneck down to vertical and let the shaft fall on the plastic plug..

Larger heavier shafts will smack the plug out on the first whack. Smaller lighter tools may take a few tries

If you shake it around enough, they should just fall through the gooseneck hole, always worked for me

Thanks all.

Now why didn't I think of just shaking the boom to get them out!?

That worked for me, but as I've already removed he rivet from the gooseneck plug I'll have to take it out anyway to replace the rivet.

Governail, I have to admit I'm sceptical about using a metal bar as an intenal hammer as the plug is jammed solid. But in the absence of other options I'll give it a go. I think I'll be spending the evening scouring the house for something suitable...

It's all my own silly fault anyway. I was out in 30kts of wind and was bearing away from close hauled, but I forgot to ease the kicker. I presume that it was the full force of the wind filling the sail & trying to lift the boom which did the damage.

PLEASE!!!

Tip the boom so the shaft slides gently all the way to the clew end of the boom.

Then continue....

Tip the boom gooseneck down to vertical and let the shaft fall on the plastic plug..

Larger heavier shafts will smack the plug out on the first whack. Smaller lighter tools may take a few tries

The guv comes through again!!
If this isn't already part of the FAQ then could someone add it?

PLEASE!!!

Then continue....

The only problem with that it the outhaul fairlead thingy is rivited to the end cap with an extra long rivet so that rivet is the only thing holding the cap in, so if you have a heat gun then use this approach, First remove the rivet on the aft end of the outhaul fairlead, then twist it out of the way, and heat up the whole plug, you have to heat it because "laser preformance" seald them with epoxy, once you have the whole thing evenly heated then slovly start to remove the cap, aps also sells a pack for that, because if you want to through bolt your mainsheet boom blocks, which i recommend, you will need to remove the cap!

Hope it helps

Back