Regional Difference in Spars

A couple of topics as well as experience has sparked my curiosity:
What's the deal with the different spars?

Here's all I know:
in New England, we only get vanguard lower sections and booms. We can get both vanguard and "euro" uppers. The euros are more expensive but don't get a permanent bend nearly as quickly- vanguard spars permanently bend in anything over 12 knots.

I've never heard about getting a tight fit between the two sections- what's the deal, and what other spar options are out there, especially in Europe and down under?

I believe it's been a question of the supplier supplying consistent tubing as far as tubes that Vanguard supplies. Read between the lines in the Ned Jones piece in the summer 2006 Laser Sailor.

Besides the Euro section, the Australian builder also has their own supplier, which IIRC has changed recently.

The reason you want a tight fit between upper and lower (both on the collar and the plug of the upper) is to present as smooth a bend as possible to the sail at the joint (to match the luff curve on the sail). With a sloppy fit, you end up with a more pronounced V at the joint which shows up a bigger overbend wrinkle running to the clew..

Back