Regatta Schedule

Back when it was in paper you were always lucky to get it by mid-May. Now that it is online only, I would hope it will be any day now. I don't know if the class officers read this board or not, maybe we will get a response. BB

Hi,

The schedule is complete and has been submitted for uploading to the ISCA site. It has also gone to the printer and you should be getting a hard copy any day now if you are in the US. It will be e-mailed to the other countries in ISCA.

The final dates and venues for the International Masters and the US Midwinter's are not final so the information on those is sketchy.

If you would like to see a regatta added to the schedule or if you see informatiom that needs to be corrected please send me a mail at [email protected]. I won't be able to update the print version but can update the on line version.

Thank you for your patience.

Susan

Thanks Susan.
Most members of the Class know that a lot of work goes into the ISCA calendar/schedule.

Thanks Susan! US Sailing Center Martin County does a great job running regattas. They'd be a nice spot for the Florida regattas next spring.

Hi the 2012 schedule has been posted on the ISCA homepage (there may be a note next to it that it is a 4-1-11 PDF, please ignore this).

Also, the ballot for the the USSCA officers election is on the site as well under the link to the United States. You can email this or snail mail this to the secretary, or complete it at the NA's.

Hi the 2012 schedule has been posted on the ISCA.......
Why is it that it's almost May and the Sunfish Class still hasn't published the regatta schedule?

Scheduling a season of regattas is tricky business for a class like the Sunfish. Whenever I see comments about the tardiness of the calendar and such – how it would be helpful to get the schedule out a little earlier so people can plan their sailing and vacation schedules and all, I get more than just a twinge of sympathy for the people who volunteer to do the scheduling.

In the Sunfish class, some regions – New England especially comes to mind – are extraordinarily fortunate to have a pair of yacht clubs, Barrington and Wequaquet, who volunteer to host Sunfish regional championships every single year on a very predictable schedule. For example, Barrington is always the first weekend in June. These are two of the best Sunfish host clubs anywhere, and they are reliably supportive towards the class. They do as much as any clubs anywhere to make sailors feel welcome, and both are worth visiting to see what the yacht club experience can be, in the very best sense.

The same is true with other clubs across the country, but to the point here, from a scheduler’s point of view these clubs are a dream. You can pretty much mark your calendar five years from now if you like.

In much of the rest of the country, the kinds of clubs that can host big events also often have members who participate in and support other sailboat classes, so convincing the clubs to commit to hosting a Sunfish event a long time in advance can be a challenge. If they already have members wanting a Laser, Opti, Moth or you-name-it event, getting the club’s volunteer race committee to also sign up for a Sunfish event -- on the weekends you want (*) -- can be a challenge.

(*) If at all possible, you don’t want to be scheduling a regatta that will conflict with other Sunfish regattas within driving distance, or for that matter national events. You don't want to force sailors to have to choose among several events one weekend, and then have nothing on the calendar for a month. You don’t want, say two of a region's regionals booked the same weekend – or a conflict with other big Sunfish events, or the North Americans, or…. Meanwhile, potential host clubs have their own block-out weekends for their other activities.

Further, and this is a killer for regatta schedulers – a number of event-capable clubs rotate or elect new officers over the winter – so when you call around in early fall to get a jump on things for the next year, you get ‘I won’t still be commodore next year so call back next March (or April) when we’ll be having our pre-season meeting’. So you put a big placeholder on the schedule and start calling around in case your first choice doesn’t come through, so at least there is something - but you also hold out as long as possible for that spring meeting, for that venue you want.

So anyway, the annual Barrington event is coming up this weekend. Everyone thinks some yacht club or other is the best there is, and anyone who has visited Barrington would have to agree that among the population of yacht clubs that have things like showers, and launch service and even a pool for members, it’s a hard club to beat in terms of Sunfish hospitality. Those who have sailed there know that it is in no small part due to the leadership of a particular Sunfish-supporting member.

There and elsewhere, if you can, attend and support these events. Be sure to go out of your way to thank the unpaid volunteers who put these on, so they'll want to give up their future summer weekends for us as well. Sailor participation and appreciation is their payment. Also, if you get a chance, thank your class regatta scheduler for her (or his) efforts.

Good points by Minifish2!

BTW, be sure to check the schedule on sunfishclass.org in addition to the printer schedule. I found at least three regattas In the printed version with the wrong dates, including the North Americans! BB

I don't see why we are even printing these schedules anymore. The online version is more accurate and can be updated if things change.

Hi,

Yes it's true - mistakes have been found in the schedule the most glaring of which is SOMEHOW I had the wrong date for the NA's in the schedule. These are actually July 31 - Aug 4 not July 20 - 24. Fortunately, the NA's application form included with the schedule is correct. Also, the on-line schedule has been updated.

Also, there are no Pan Am Games this year.

There was also a mistake in the names of one of the regional representatives on the ballot, however, this has also been corrected on line and the members in the region affected have all been notified of the correction.
I would like to apologize for the errors, I have no excuse.
I also would like to echo the sentiment expressed above about why are we printing the schedule, I feel it is fine to just carry it on line so that as dates for regattas change or errors are identified they can be easily corrected and current information provided to the class. However, not everyone feels that way so for now we have been printing it. I am sure there will be further discussion on this topic.
Also, it would be great if everyone could sign up in advance for the NA's, they are at a great venue and alot of work is going into setting up this regatta. It is very helpful to the organizers of the event to know how many people to expect in advance.
Thanks, Susan

I would recommend that a Facegroup "Event" be created for the NAs. We did that last year and it was helpful in guesstimating the turnout.

Back