Regatta question

Planning an annual regatta. Do folks like online pre-registration? In the past we've gotten a very small pre-reg response and mostly walk-ups. Preferences?
Mark your calendars: Stone Horse Yacht Club Regatta - July 24 - Harwich Port MA
cid:993F9665CAEC4801BB1921BCDAC29FEC@absolute.local

Planning an annual regatta. Do folks like online pre-registration? In the past we've gotten a very small pre-reg response and mostly walk-ups. Preferences?
Mark your calendars: Stone Horse Yacht Club Regatta - July 24 - Harwich Port MA
cid:993F9665CAEC4801BB1921BCDAC29FEC@absolute.local

I think you will get more pre-registration by dong it online instead of having people mail in checks. However, I think people are generally hesitant to commit money until the day of the event. You never no when plans will change, or what the weather will be.

You have to offer an incentive to register early. A discount, guarantee a T-shirt, a meal beyond a basic buffet.

All depends on the size/type of regatta, whether entry on the day is also possible and if so do pre-entries get registered quicker on the day?

For things like nationals that you are going to do regardless of the forecast then online pre entry is great. No hassle, online payment, quick.

For smaller events then its not so important (although helpful for the club as get an idea of numbers to expect).

The UK Qualifiers (2 day events that make up the ranking ladder for worlds/euro places) have been using pre entry for the last year or so. I have used it a couple of times but don't anymore. Reasons for this are no benefit to sailor and it costs more (credit card surcharge and postage for the form that you still have to sign and send to UKLA!). You then also still have to join the long long entry queue and wait alongside people entering on the day. If they ran 2 registration queues (one for pre entered, one for on the day entry) that would probably change my mind as then the pre registered queue should move faster.

I echo the previous two posts although the (nasty) credit card issue must be a UK phenom.

When payment is required (usually it is) I would like to see a 'policy' regarding restitution in case of emergencies.

The regattanetwork site (http://regattanetwork.com/) used for most US Sailing regattas is easy to use, but I have registered with little or no difficulty on other sites as well.

Back