Refinishing fins

RobKoci

Ryan Minth mentioned to me once there was someone in New Jersey that refinished centerboards and rudders that did a greate job. Anyone know who that might be? The word "Gunk" came up, like the name of the company was something like that. Anyone?

I think you are looking for Lars Guck. He is located in RI (Newport?),
not sure what his company name or number is.

You might also consider contacting Dirk K at Ontario Yachts. He may be looking for small jobs.

Lots of wetsanding paper, good sanding blocks, marine tex, and krylon white spray paint will give you the tools for a nice refinish for little cost.

A tricked out Laser Centerboard would cost at least $1000 at my shop.

Thank god we don't play that game in my part of the world.

Since the boat has become an Olympic class the very top sailors have almost exclusively limited their sailing equipment to the same tools they expect to see at Olympic Trials, Word Championships and the Olympics themselves.
The stock board or the closest imitation possible of a stock board is the very best board to bring to a regatta.
With that equpment you will be sailing with the same equipment as the very best sailors.

Want to find out how good you are??

Can you imagine how utterly bummed out you would be if you had BETTER equipment than the best guys and still had your ass kicked by them??

Just get a can of Krylon and occasionally touch up your scratched blades.

Anything better than that is a waste of time and should be treated as cheating.

Note: Creating some of the world's best one design sailing foils is a big part of my business. Having this opinion certainly costs me a few $1000 dollar trick out jobs a year. I must feel strongly about it.

Back