Recreational sailing, Sunfish to Laser

I've been sailing since the early 1960's, and currently solo a Sunfish for purely recreational enjoyment. In the past, I've owned a Force 5, Zuma, Penguin, Trinka, and some larger, cruising style boats.

My Sunfish is a great boat, and I have never had a bad time sailing it, it sits on a dolly, just 20' from the water. I have regretted selling my Force 5 for about 20 years, and I'm now considering a "vintage" Laser to add to my "fleet". Purely recreational solo sailing.

Here's my question; will the Laser provide a significantly different sailing experience from the Sunfish? My memory suggests that the Force 5 was enough different from the Sunfish that if I could find one, I'd buy that, so I tend to believe the same would be true about the Laser.

Any Laser sailors that were once, or still are, devoted Sunfish sailors that could give me their input?

Thanks very much. You time and thoughts are appreciated.

jc

I sail and race both; in fact quite a few folks do.
In a nutshell, the boats are quite different and the pros and cons are quite different as well.
The most noticeable difference is that a Laser is more 'tippy'. And depending on your weight and athleticism, the Laser is more challenging in higher winds.
I believe that learning how to sail a Laser has made me a better Sunfish sailor, even though I am still struggling to make mid-fleet.

PS: If you enjoyed sailing a Force 5, you will enjoy the Laser as well.

Last edited:
I used to sail a Sailfish, lil sister to the Sunfish, and have been on a Laser for 20+ yrs now, but all purely recreational, not class-legal racing. My Laser dates from the early 70's, so it was real cheap to buy. I've had to put some work into it over the years to keep it going but I have plenty enuf confidence in the hull + rig to take it out in 30 knots any day. That's a huge day but it'll sail it, and it'll come home in one piece.

To me, the main difference is that on the Laser, I have MUCH more control over the shape of the sail, and also the SIZE of the sail, in recreational sailing. What I mean is-

1. the Laser has a vang, downhaul, + outhaul. Even the "old" versions of these controls gave me a lot more control over sail shape, allowing me to have fun in a wider range of wind speeds/conditions. I put "DIY" upgrades on my boat to get the additional purchase/adjustability of the "XD" Laser controls at a fraction of the cost of the class-approved versions. The additional purchase means I can make adjustments under pretty much full wind force. The vang and outhaul in particular have been game-changers for me. They allow me to flatten and de-power the sail quickly and reliably when the wind comes up, and I can keep sailing + having fun, not having to "dump" the sail, or hike beyond my 60-yr-old capability or desired "fun level."

2. I've bought "practice" versions of all 3 sizes of sail for the Laser, along with the shorter lower mast sections you need. So I can sail it in anything from a drifter breeze up to 25+knots and get a good sail + have fun across that whole spectrum.

I think I can point my Laser higher than I could the Sailfish, especially on the tack where on the Sailfish, the sail lays against the mast. And having a LOT more freeboard, and I believe a hull shape that rises over wave action better than the Sail/Sunfish, I think the Laser sails over waves much better, and makes better forward speed once a chop + whitecaps come up.

To me, the advantages of the Sailfish are/were that I could rig it+ get out on the water quicker; and I could lower the sail with the halyard when I wanted (beaching somewhere, lunch, etc etc). On the Laser you have to take the mast out of the hull to get the sail down.

But all that said they're both really fun, and both way high on the "fun to dollars" scale in my view. For me personally, I go with the Laser all the time. They're different, and perhaps worth owning both, and in the end, probably more a matter of your own usage + preference than anything. Here's wishing you many more years of fun on either one or both.

Last edited:
Laser definitely has more in common with a Force 5 than a Sunfish. However my observation through the years is that people who chose a Force 5 over a Laser generally do so for a specific reason. There's just something about the Laser they don't like, or they are maybe they just want a slightly larger boat.

Back