Recommendation needed for S. Jersey sailing

hdtrc

I'm looking for a good spot to sail at the S. Jersey shore. My previous sailing experience has been hopping onto a rigged and moored 20'. Now with my recently acquired Laser, I need to find a good place to rig and launch a trailered boat by myself.
The only sailing I've done this year was in Stone Harbor, NJ which has a narrow boat lane full of motor boats. I, a newbie, would like a large open area and a launch spot not crowded with motorboats.
Where's a hot spot for sailing at the S. Jersey shore?

If large open area and no motorboats, look north of Atlantic City. The bay is open and has plenty of room to sail. LBI has a few good spots. I'm from Brant Beach and I can say we race Lasers every Saturday afternoon in the summer.

I sailed in the Barnegat Bay for a good 10-15 years (sunny, a light stint in opti, laser, crew on a 34' and random other boats). Most of the bay is like 4'-5' deep or so there is not much traffic. Laser sailing is wonderful. There are some shallow spots here or there, but mostly it's clear from beach haven to tuckerton.
There are many good clubs you could join and sail with. I belonged to SBYC since my grandparents were already members. At the time LEHYC and SCYC were the sailing club. LEH had the Laser fleet to beat on the island.
The LBIYRA was a great group of clubs. Members from other clubs would work together to get to regionals/nationals or whatever. The inter-club activity on the island is weekly and keeps you on your toes. As I proved I had a clue on a boat, other club members would frequently ask me to sail with them whenever there was a spot. Every sailor on the island basically worked together to help the island sailing to succeed. But that was back when Jake and Faye Bennet had a great deal to say about what was going on. Two great people who will leave their legacy across the bay there, if not further. They pushed my ass in to a Laser and I'll never forget it.

There is also great competition up in the Toms River area. I always enjoyed traveling to regatta's up on the river, always seems the boats and others on the water were very respectful of the sailing fleets. That's a good bit ago though.

I sailed Laser Districts out of Stone Harbor a weekend after buying my boat, back when. That narrow channel is a pain in the rear, I do remember the wind being great. I lost a pair of Oakleys after I capsized, and as the wind picked up and we had no club to aid us, we sailed back in to port before we finished the first race.

Could either of you be specific about an actual launch site as in it's name or street location?

From Google Satelite I see a ramp and parking lot at Cedar Run Park and Parkertown Dock on the mainland side.

I could not help you on the mainland side. I know there is a launch ramp in Beach Haven behind Bay Village. And I think (don't quote me) there is a public ramp in Ship Bottom just to the south side of the causeway bridge as you first come on to the island.

Anytime, enjoy the wind!

edit. after looking at google maps. I believe we used to sail across the bay and picnic on the beach there. Awesome times there, you should have a blast.

Back