Rebedding Deck fittings

WPB Sailor

Gotta rebed the outhaul and cunningham fittings. I don't need 5200 for this right? Any old silicone caucking compound should do the job??

And can i ignore the cure time?

Clean it up after removing; dirt prevents a good seal.

But you want to respect the cure time before going sailing.

5200 is permanent! Don't go there. I use 4200, and I think Lifeseal would work as well.

3m makes small tubes of 4200, and it doesn't cost that much to get the proper stuff. Besides, you will always find a use for it.

BJMoose is correct, clean surfaces make for a proper seal; and make sure it's cured before getting it wet.

Good Luck.

Pete,

I was out at Home Depot last night and was able to find some 5200, but I didn't see any 4200 there. I have a new hiking strap being delivered tomorrow, and I plan on going out on the water Sunday. The 5200 I bought is fast drying (24 hour cure time), but I guess I'm just learning that this stuff is permanent. Should I not use that for the hiking strap/main block mounting points? Anything else I should use in a pinch? I have plenty of kitchen and bath silicone sealant/caulk in my garage now.

WPB Sailor,

Have you been out recently? Hows the sailing weather out there? I was thinking of going out this friday/sunday out of the boynton beach/Lantana boat launch on the intracoastal, near the Key Lime House by the Bridge. Anything good? Have any better recommendations?

D.

I've made it out three time so far - the last two Wednesday night races at PBSC at 2 sundays ago (no wind). I'll be out this SUnday (PBSC is having an open house) and this time I'm headed out the pass - can't wait to play in some tasty waves. I sail out of the PBSC so I can't say what Boyton is like but I bike down there from Palm Beach and it looks like protected flat water sailing - not sure how deep it is. Depending how confident you are I'd go to the boat ramps on Singer Island off of Blue Heron - that way you've got easy access to the Atlantic or the Intercoastal - watch out for the current it rips!!!!

PS you can get the 4200 at Boaters world...

Wow, you've definitely peaked my curiosity. Okay, tell me about this open house that PBSC is having? I didn't see anything about it on their website (I checked about a week ago). I was actually considering just coming up to PBSC and seeing if they had daily rates for using their facilities for launching the boat like I've done in Clearwater before, as I'm not sure if I want to join the club full time yet. But, if they're having an open house, I may head up there on Sunday instead of going out in Boynton....choices choices.

The boynton boat ramp is in a real nice area, and its very close to my house (10 mins). It'd be about 30 minutes for me to get up to 45th street going slow with the trailer, but I might make the trip this weekend, the thought of going out the inlet to the ocean is very enticing, I've wanted to do this for awhile! BTW, I've grown up here in WPB on a small fiberglass board with fins, so I'm familiar with the rip currents, but you're right, theyre nothing to be underestimated!

My only concern going off of the ramps at Blue Heron would be that for some reason, I have difficulty rigging my boat quickly. I suppose it could be that I usually go out in heavy wind and I'm inexperienced, but I feel that often I spend 3/4 of my time trying to hang onto the boat to keep it from tipping on the dock or flying away than actually rigging it. Add backing the trailer, parking the trailer, securing the trailer and gear, and a whole bunch of drunk guys with powerboats anxious to get on the water and it may get out of hand. I mean, I may be exaggerating, but I just want to be cautious. Do you have any difficulty launching from the boat ramp on blue heron?

Ufortunately PBSC is not like Clearwater Sailing Center - you have to be a member to use the facilities. It's not inexpensive either - 1500 (including initiation fee) +600 for boat storage - but it's the only sailing club in the immediate area with a great location (and one hot female sailor:).

So anyway - I've never sailed out of the Blue Heron ramps but I'd Imagine they're like anywhere else - rig your boat 100% on the trailer have your blades in and ready to go, back down, tie up, park the car and back to the boat in 2 minutes.. S/B no problem. I never let a bunch of powerboaters intimidate me...

Oh, what a disappointment! They don't even have daily or weekly rates? At the clearwater center, I just paid the $20 to use the place for the weekend. I'd be very interested in trying it out, and wouldn't mind paying for a weekend or a month, but a $1500 cost up front is just not something I'm going to do with how little I sail. BTW, are you sure its $1500? Accoriding to their membership application, the yearly rate is $280 with a $315 initiation fee. If it weren't for the high initiation fee, I'd sign up for a year to try it.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong with the boat. I try to rig the boat on the trailer, but as soon as I attach the outhaul and the clew, the sail catches wind and tries to pull the boat off the trailer, even if the sail is free to swing however it wants. What am I doing wrong? It also sometimes whips around wildly, and just the inertia of the swinging boom will shake the boat around on the trailer. I suppose I could leave the tiedowns on the boat, but then I'd have to remove them in the water. Is this what you do?

Anyway, maybe I'll see you out this Sunday if I can decide where I want to go. Really would have liked to try the sailing center, but if not, I may try the boat ramps off of blue heron.

Yes, I can rig it bow into the wind. But if the wind is gusty, it can swing the boom about no matter what direction the boat is pointed, and the inertia of it can be pretty strong.

Additionally, like we were tlaking about earlier, even if I do rig the boat with the bow into the wind, I have to back the boat down the boat ramp eventaully, which usually dictates the direction I point the boat.

Additionally, like we were tlaking about earlier, even if I do rig the boat with the bow into the wind, I have to back the boat down the boat ramp eventaully, which usually dictates the direction I point the boat.

This is when I would disconnect the sail briefly and reattached it once the trailer is put away and the boat is at the dock. This is sometimes tricky, especially for my women's hands, but it avoids a lot of trouble.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong with the boat. I try to rig the boat on the trailer, but as soon as I attach the outhaul and the clew, the sail catches wind and tries to pull the boat off the trailer, even if the sail is free to swing however it wants. What am I doing wrong? It also sometimes whips around wildly, and just the inertia of the swinging boom will shake the boat around on the trailer.

pull the outhaul very tight i.e pretty useless for sailing tight. Any sort of depth in your sail will cause the swinging motion you've discovered.

WPB Sailor,

Just wanted to know if you ever got your boat out of singer island into the ocean on sunday? Saturday, we went out of Singer island on a 36' twin engine fishing boat for some offshore fishing, and at the time the thought of sailing a laser out there was pure madness. Going under the bridge in a laser seemed dangerous and uncontrollable for a beginner like me, although with experience this could be acceptable. Still though, it was a high traffic area without a lot of room to maneuver if the wind isnt going the direction you'd like it to.

Then, you get to the inlet. When we went out in the powerboat, there were 6-8' swells coming in the inlet, not something I wanted to test in the laser. Offshore it was 4-6' with about 20knts.

Coming back in (around 5pm), the inlet was much calmer (1-2'), and was definitely possible to sail into/out of, but you still had the problem of high traffic if you wanted to launch from singer island.

Sunday morning was spent swearing "I'll never drink again" after saturday nights festivities, so I hardly got out of bed until 2pm. Tried to get the boat ready to go to the open house at the PB sailing center, and the lightning and thunder came through, so I never made it out. How was the open house?

Ended up staying in the intercoastal. Went on a SCREAMING reach out to the pass saw what you did and decided that discretion was the better part of valour. Major chance of breakage - without a buddy boat i thought it a bad idea particularly with the current ripping out. Ended up training by doing three sets of 2+ mile beats to the bridge and jibing back downwind kicked my ass...

I don't think the wind ever was much less than twenty.

Open house was OK took some people out on the club boats - the weather was fantastic while i was there

Wow, good to hear. Kind of upset I missed the sunday weather, it sounded nice, but thats what I get for drinking...anyway.

I ended up going out Monday evening around 4pm out of the Boynton Boat ramp near the Ritz - it was actually pretty nice. The ramp blocks a good bit of wind, which makes rigging the boat much, much easier. Nice big open area to sail in and the breeze was a shifty 10-15 or so. Practiced some downwind, went swimming twice, water wasnt bad at all, although a little dark for my tastes :)

I'll get up to the sailing center someday, just not excited about a $1500 entrance fee :(

Back