Rake of the mast

Erick R

I have been unable to find out what angle Laser has put on the rake of the mast; as in the degrees forward or aft.

Erick R said:
I have been unable to find out what angle Laser has put on the rake of the mast; as in the degrees forward or aft.
I forgot to say that a friend has given me his demasted Laser. The step is good, I rebuilt the tube and made a fiberglass plate for the deck, but I need to know if Laser has put a rake on the tube. If so, what angle fore or aft? If you know where I might find the answer it would be helpful,

Another possibility is to use the same kind of approach that is used for a measurement dispute (if you have some other Lasers nearby with "virgin" mast-steps):

A sample of 10 other boats shall be taken and measured using identical techniques. The dimensions of the disputed boat shall be equal to, or between the maximum and minimum dimensions obtained from these 10 boats.​
http://www.laser.org/c/cnt/down/classrules.pdf (Part 2, Sect. 2)

You would probably only have to stick a lower mast section into the mast-step of a few boats to get good enough data. I'd use the same mast and always line it up the same relative to the hulls, then measure the distance to the transom and bow with the mast as far aft and as far forward as it will tip (remember, the mast-step is slightly oval).

Cheers,

Geoff S.

With the mast repair kit there should be a how to sheet that includes a measurement for setting the rake. Try talking to your local Laser dealer and see if they can get a copy of that "how to" sheet from Vanguard. I have done 5 mast step replacements but I cannot remember the measurement. Must be the resin. ;)

Back