radial sail with metal "cup" at the head

larrys

I have a couple of old radial sails with a metal cup attached with a piece of line at the top. Is this a legit laser sail? One appears to be in pretty decent condition. What's the deal?

I have a couple of old radial sails with a metal cup attached with a piece of line at the top. Is this a legit laser sail? One appears to be in pretty decent condition. What's the deal?

Sounds like on of the 80's "M-rigs" where the sail could be raised and lowered on the mast.

If it's the only sail you have and gets you on the water then sure! Otherwise, I'd stick with the updated designs.

Did some of the early Radial rigs, like 1991-1992, have the metal cap too?

I think you could be right. I seem to recall the M sails had a black M in the Laser logo (I could be wrong through).

There is what looks like a radial at my local club. I have looked at it up close and it certainly has the correct length upper and lower mast as the radial. I seem to recall the M had a shorter upper mast (which made it too stiff).

The original Radial rigs had the cup and halyard system. It was changed to the same method as the standard rig in the mid-nineties. It was also at this time that the colour sail combination was dropped in favour of white sails only.

Back