radial / m-rig question

I have an 86 that I purchased with what I assume is either a very early radial or M rig. It has the little cap and the lower section has a cleat for the halyard.

Was there a change in the tube characteristics of these lower sections between the M rig and the final radial rig? If so does anyone have the measurements so I can try to see if I have the later (presumably bendier) lower section?

I don't want to spend a lot of money on a new radial sail if the lower section I have really isn't compatible with it.

I believe the old M rig used a standard sail lower section which has a wall thickness over 3mm (eyeball approximation). The current Radial wall is closer to 2mm (eyeball approximation) and shorter. The Std and Radial mast lengths are on the International Laser assn. web site in the rules.

What you describe is the M-rig, the halyard being a dead give-away. It used a bendy top section with the standard low mast, which didn't really allow the sail to de-power in a puff. The radial design, with standard upper and bendy lower, works much better in this regard.

Even if a radial sail would fit the M-rig spars, the bend characteristics are totally different. I wouldn't waste the money on a new radial sail.

You may have a full size top, and a shorter M bottom. Some of the M bottoms are full wall thickness, similar to a full, and some are thinner, and sleeved like a new style radial. You can reach in with a tape measure, to see if you bump into a sleeve about 2-3 feet down. If so, then you have the newer style. It will still be about 2" too long, and will work better if cut to the new specs..

I don't remember the actual lengths, so look that up in the Rules/diagrams.

Al Russell

Hi,
I have an old Radial rig of ~1988 (#710xx). It has a metal ring at the top of the main to turn the halyard for the main.
The length of the lower mast section, (incl. plug at the lower end of the tube) is ~231 cm (1 inch is 2,54 cm) and the thickness of the mantle of the tube at the upper end is ~0,18 cm. Hope this info's help.
This Radial rig is allowed to use at Laser races at boats that original came with this rig form the out of the box boat builders. This is guaranteed by the so called "fundamental rule" of the class rule for the Laser. But, it makes no sense to use it, because this Lasers are very old and to slow to reach a success at races (without club races of course) our district chairman in 2004 me told.
Didn't the "Laser M"-rig had a different UPPER mast segment ??

Ciao
LooserLu

Attachments

• 710xx Radial sail top.jpg
    710xx Radial sail top.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 710xx Radial metall ring for Halyard.jpg
    710xx Radial metall ring for Halyard.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 710xx Radial mast gooseneck.jpg
    710xx Radial mast gooseneck.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 710xx Radial sail pocket for the halyard.jpg
    710xx Radial sail pocket for the halyard.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 710xx Radial mast.jpg
    710xx Radial mast.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 38
Clive is right, the M uses the standard bottom section, and a short top section with a halyard. Some early radial sails also had a halyard system, with various ways of running it. A friend of mine bought a new radial in his youth, and it had an eye riveted to the end of the top section. Someone else I knew had one with the small cloth triangle cap thingy, there's the thing that Lu shows above, and the later ones just fit like a standard sail.

I dont think the rigs are even the same height, so if its an M rig, and you just want it for knocking about, take it to your local sailmaker and get a copy made. If you want to race, buy a complete radial rig. Or perhaps you might find an M sail on ebay thats had virtually no use, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Back