Racing/hiking strap position

AJC6882

Okay now Before i mount my hiking strap what is the ideal position for mounting it, assuming that the storage compartment wasnt on a the sunfish. I have someone saying to mount it 7inches off the cockpit floor if it was possible(like a laser). And I was assuming that lower would be better for me because I'm taller and have longer legs. More imput would be greatly appreciated.

If you have longer legs, you might be better off sticking your toes under the rim of the cockpit. Wear shoes though :eek:. One former multiple World Champion is known to do just that.

Recent boats from Vanguard (now LaserPerformance) have the rear eye strap about 2" off the floor of the cockpit and the forward attachment point ~2.5" off the floor. As far as the rear is concerned, there isn't much space to play with (assuming you have a cubby in the back). But there is greater variability to position the front end of the strap. I had it higher (about half way up) on my 1978 hull, where I installed the strap myself. It really is a matter of how you sail, and tack, under conditions where hiking and flattening the boat out after a tack are essential. Top Laser and Sunfish guys/gals adjust the strap (from tight to slack) during a race, but let's not go there.

Back