racing a radial against standard rigs

coop

I've got the first regatta of the year, and the first one I've done in 6 or so years, coming up on Saturday.

This likely won't be big enough to warrant both a radial class and a standard class. I'm 5'4" and about 125 lbs, so I'm underweight for the radial and very underweight for the standard. If it's anything under 10 knots I'll likely sail the standard, but if it's over, am I better off in a very heavily depowered standard (and still unable to flatten) or racing a radial against the standard sailors?

yeah... I suppose you're both right. It's hard to set myself up with a disadvantage like that, but I guess I'd be disadvantaged either way.

Though I'll fly downwind...

You'll probably finish about the same with either rig, but you'll be much less frustrated with a Radial.

Depends on the course - if the finish is a long downwind leg you could make up 20 to 30 places if you are light and can plane.

A well sailed radial will beat an averagely sailed full rig on the water.

We were at Highcliffe SC for an open a couple of weeks ago and they ran both fleets off one start line. The first 5/6 radials were well into the standard rigs beating lots of them. Just make sure you can get clear air off the line early (extra important when your sail is smaller than those around you) and you'll be fine.

The other thing I do if I'm racing full rigs is time the distance between their finish and mine so even if handicap isn't worked out I have a rough idea of whether I was close enough to have got them or not.

The Radial is just a slower boat. It is not intended to put small-to-mid-sized sailors on equal footing with larger sailors in a full rig. The ideal situation would be a separate Radial fleet, but there usually aren't enough boats.

I would look at it like this. On a breezy day, you have two choices. Go out in a full size, be over-powered and capsize, and generally frustrated. Or you can go out in a Radial. You won't magically win any races, but you can enjoy a good day of sailing with your friends.

Back