quick release hook?

laser92719

In what situation would you need to release it quick?

Do you rig your boat while it is on the dolly, and then put it the water.

Backwards learning here, yesterday was my first day of surfing, planing and jumping the waves from the wake of the sportfishers leaving the channel, an unplanned circumstance I'll not do for a long time again. But o my god what a thrill.

laser92719 said:
With a strong onshore breeze, If you've got a nice sloping beach, you can just sail into shallow water, round up, step out of the boat, and walk the boat ashore as you unrig. But if you don't have the beach (for example, deep water right up to the dock) it's nice to be able to unhook the sail for landing. Otherwise smply turning the boat broadside to the wind at the dock, even with the sheet all the way out, will capisize the boat onto the dock.

Chris123 said:
laser92719 said:
With a strong onshore breeze, If you've got a nice sloping beach, you can just sail into shallow water, round up, step out of the boat, and walk the boat ashore as you unrig. But if you don't have the beach (for example, deep water right up to the dock) it's nice to be able to unhook the sail for landing. Otherwise smply turning the boat broadside to the wind at the dock, even with the sheet all the way out, will capisize the boat onto the dock.

AMEN! Amen, Amen.

If you're interested, check out this thread:

Rigging on the H20

And for for more a performance oriented topic:

Clew tie Down Device

Thanks for the links but it's still not clear, the "quick release" action is simply for ease of docking?

Isn't the clew and sail "tied down" so how could that be a quick release of the entire sail?

So much to learn so little time

Ok, I had tied the sail down through the clew of the sail, not the hook circle. So the entire sail will release via the cunningham, and slip of the hook.

laser92719 said:
Thanks for the links but it's still not clear, the "quick release" action is simply for ease of docking?

Isn't the clew and sail "tied down" so how could that be a quick release of the entire sail?

So much to learn so little time

Different people do different things. Instead of attaching the outhaul to the clew and tying the clew down to the boom, I attach the outhaul to a "clew hook" and tie the "clew hook" down to the boom. The "clew hook" is just a piece of bent steel, but it's bent just right so Harken can charge $9.00 for it. I leave the outhaul rigged on my boom at all times, and I also leave the clew hook tied down to the boom at all times. When I want to rig the sail, I just grab the clew of the sail and hook it onto the clew hook. When I want to unrig, I just pull the clew off the clew hook. I do this with the outhaul eased way out. If it's really windy, I'll hook the clew onto the boom before I put the boom onto the mast -- makes it easier to control the whole flogging works.

Back