Question related to Super Snark

Discussion in 'Sailing Talk' started by jokerb19, Jul 28, 2015.

1. jokerb19

jokerb19 New Member

Hi guys, I just joined and started sailing and have tons of questions but one is really pressing on my mind. I have had my snark out twice now and noticed something that i am probably just not doing right and would like some advice.

So i am under way, sails are filled and i am flying. I go to make a turn, one hand on the tiller the other on the line to control the boom. If i am turning closer to the wind i have to pull them in. I pull in as far as i can with my arm that is holding the line, but i have to let go of it to grab farther up to continue pulling it in. The sail then flies back out and i have to scramble to grab the line before it goes all the way through and i lose the sail completely. OR i have to let go of the tiller, grab the line with that hand and then move my other hand to a farther spot up the rope, but then the tiller goes hard to one side and my turn is ruined and i have to start over.

To get to my direct question, is there a way to keep the tiller pointed where i have it when i let go, or is there some kind of a progress capture device that i can attach somewhere to the boat or myself that will hold the sail line where i want it so i can let go to grab the line farther up?

Thanks in advance!

2. Wavedancer

Wavedancer Upside down? Staff Member

Transfer the sheet to your 'tiller hand'. Then grab the sheet again at the new position with your 'sheet hand'. This works better if you have a tiller extension. Not sure about that on a Super Snark.

PS: You really don't want to let go of the tiller!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  3. jokerb19

jokerb19 New Member

I agree, as i found out time and time again. I would go to tack, put the tiller hard over, start pulling in the sheet but then the tiller would reverse and i would have to start again.

I actually kind of solved my problem, or at least part of it. I took and tied a loop of rope around my daggerboard handle, and then attached a rope tightener that has like a caribiner clip to it on one end and a rope clamping cam on the other. I ran the line for the sheet through there. i can pull in the line and it stays where i want it with the cam. When i want to let it out, i release a bit of tension on the cam. Worked like a charm and i was able to at times, not even worry about the line and focus on the tiller and enjoying the sailing.

I will try to do it again without this and try transfering the sheet to my tiller hand though. Not sure why i didnt think about that sooner, but i think its because the line is not long enough to reach that far if i have the sheet all the way out.