Question on the "New" Rigging

Jumper2win

First, hello everyone. I am new to the forums. My questions are about the new rigging. To some of you this rigging may not seem new but to me it is. It is the new Downhaul, Outhaul and Vang set. It is a couple of years old, but I think it is still new. Now my question is should I get it? I am thinking about getting it but I am not sure yet. My second question which is probably not going to be answered, but if it is I would be exstatic. Could I have the part number for the pullies and cleats of the sets. I know Harken sells the set all together but I want to see if it is cheaper if I buy everything separateyl. I am going to search more extensively online, but I thought this would be a great place to start. Thanks for everyones help and Happy Sailing. :)

Cheers,
Trip

are you talking about all the upgrades? expensive but if you want to be competative in heavy air those extra advantages are GREAT! i would totaly get them. or just get a new laser like i did and it comes with it! that cost a little more though but about the second question go to www.apsltd.com and look at one design boat parts. i think they have the part numbesr there but if you want to buy all that make sure you get the right lines too. you dont want to have spectra for a control line ect... good luck on finding that.

sailordude said:
---snip--- but if you want to buy all that make sure you get the right lines too. you dont want to have spectra for a control line ect... good luck on finding that.

Can you explain your reasoning a little more...

ok... for the outhaul.. theres 2 different kind of lines. spectra which is the load line goes through the gromet on the sail and along the boom. the other line which can be anything thin and strong with a cover. make sure all of those lines dont stretch at all. i think they use 5 mm sprintline, excel d12 or maffoli swiftcord. my main point is dont use spectra for a control line iv seen people do that and there reasoning is its stronger or some but you cant hold onto it and i dont know if the cleat even will. hope it helps.

Buying the set verses piece by piece is about even price wise for the downhaul, and outhaul. However, you can use smaller blocks and less blocks if you piece it out. Seemed like some of the sets come with larger blocks. I like the Harken micro series.

sailordude said:
ok... for the outhaul.. theres 2 different kind of lines. spectra which is the load line goes through the gromet on the sail and along the boom. the other line which can be anything thin and strong with a cover. make sure all of those lines dont stretch at all. i think they use 5 mm sprintline, excel d12 or maffoli swiftcord. my main point is dont use spectra for a control line iv seen people do that and there reasoning is its stronger or some but you cant hold onto it and i dont know if the cleat even will. hope it helps.

Thanks for clearing up your earlier post.
You still have some confusing/conflicting info though.

I think you are trying to say not to use single braid 12 strand for the control line s but that's exactly what Excel D12 is. Swiftcord is also a single braid, but it's not 100% spectra and it's not braided in a 12 strand method.. With handles at the end of the control line it's not the material, but the diameter that makes it's easy to pull.

The control line should be a dia that is comfortable to grip and pull, 5mm (3/16") works well for me. Because of the low loads on the control line and the larger diameter compared to the primary line, you can use low tech poly double braids, just go with whatever feels comfortable and lays on the deck the way you prefer (some people like the line to be stiff, others like it limp)

There are a number of people I've talked to who are convinced that Swiftcord runs thru the purchase systems better then all others, especially in the vang when you are using all 5 parts.

A great alternative to spending a lot of money on the upgrades is to upgrade your old controls. Search this forum on how to do this. There is also info on drlaser, which is still partly accessible (see helpdesk section), and if I am not mistaken on the Rooster website.
I would highly recommend the changes. It makes it much easier to sail the boat in different and changing circumstances.

Gerard

Ok, he's talking about single braid vs double. (ie: cored)
The reason for not using the spectra as a control line is that because its so strong (with little creep) its gets seriously downsized. hurts the hands when pulling hard. Use it only in the primary side of a cascaded system. Spectra is also very slippery. Vectran (my personal favorite for primaries) isn't slippery. The slippery part is great for the clew hold down. slides freely for the outhaul.

On my 505, I have spectra spinny sheets. For the parts I hold I put a cover on it. And where the guy cleats in I did a spiral braid with some 2mm junk (mini spools). I also did this trick for the trap adjusters too.

(yes, I get a little carried away with line. But it looks and works awesome)

49208 said:
Thanks for clearing up your earlier post.
You still have some confusing/conflicting info though.

I think you are trying to say not to use single braid 12 strand for the control line s but that's exactly what Excel D12 is. Swiftcord is also a single braid, but it's not 100% spectra and it's not braided in a 12 strand method.. With handles at the end of the control line it's not the material, but the diameter that makes it's easy to pull.

The control line should be a dia that is comfortable to grip and pull, 5mm (3/16") works well for me. Because of the low loads on the control line and the larger diameter compared to the primary line, you can use low tech poly double braids, just go with whatever feels comfortable and lays on the deck the way you prefer (some people like the line to be stiff, others like it limp)

There are a number of people I've talked to who are convinced that Swiftcord runs thru the purchase systems better then all others, especially in the vang when you are using all 5 parts.

Back