Question on install of new hiking strap

deeman

Hello - I am finishng the resto on my 74' and had a question about the holes for the hiking strap.

The boat I purcahsed came with the hardware in a baggie so I am not 100% how it all goes back together.

I see the holes for the dagger board brake. I would guess there are another set of holes aft of the brake holes for the hiking strap....right? So a total of 4 holes fairly close together. I may have covered them up.

Also - the hiking strap connector in the bag-o-parts had bolts, not screws running thru the rubber backer. I can see no possible way to install bolts into the hull since there is no way to access the underside to hold the nuts on. I assume the dagger board brake and the hiking strap all use screws with 3M 4200 - correct?

Here is a pic I found that helped me figure this out - I just want to be 100% sure.
609844150_fXnBj-L.jpg

Mike

You are 100% correct on all counts..

Some do push the hiking strap further forward so that all 4 screws are holding it down, especially on old boats where the screws may not be getting a good "bite" in the laminate. If none of the screws get a good bite, you have two options - refill the holes and redrill -or- put in an inspection port and thru-bolt (the answer to your question on how you can get nuts on)

cool - thanks!! I was able to get my hand underneath and put bolts/nuts on it - perfect. Only issue is the Intensity Sails hiking strap I bought has the holes on the strap too close together - does not come close to the holes on the new rubber mounting "plate" or the holes on the boat so I am thinking of using a soldering iron to melt the nylon holes wider.

Other non-related question. I ordered a new bailer drain plug. How do I get the plug off the metal pull-rod? Unbend and rebend the rod?

Soldering iron will do the job nicely.

The drain plug will slide off, no need to dis-assemble the rod. A little twist while pulling the plug will help get it started if it's really stuck..
When you install the new one, a drop of liquid soap (or a little spit) on the end of the rod will help the new plug slide on

Back