Question from a beginner...

carolinah2o

Ok...I used to sail when I was younger. I raced Hobie cats and some Laser's all through high school and college. Now, I have a family of my own and mostly fish on our boat. I've been thinking about getting a Laser for my children to learn how to sail. We live on the coast of North Carolina and have a great area to sail about 3 miles from our house. I have a son that is 10 and a daughter 8.

My question is....Should I get a Laser and try to fit all three of us on it..or.. look for a Laser II or a Club 420, that we can fit on a little more comfortably? My concern is that the Laser II may be too much boat for them too handle...but than again...will the regular Laser be too small, and we'd out grow too fast???

I should mention that both of my kids have grown up on the water...boating and swimming.

Thanks...any comments would be appreciated...
Scott

IMHO, Laser cockpit is too small for 3, even if two are kids.. I'd look at the other two you mentioned, they can always sail under main alone if it's just the two of them once they get the hang of sailing...

I've sailed my laser with one of my kids on it, but not tried with two.

I've seen another sailor sailing it with two really young kids - they were in the neigborhood of 5 years old, though, or younger.

For all of you together, I personally would pick a bit larger boat. Doesn't have to be longer, just bigger; e.g. Lido 14, Capri 14, FJ, etc...

IMHO

Find yourself an O'day Daysailor (I, II, or III) They are stable and very forgiving to sail and have a large cockpit and a place to store stuff up forward. Not too much boat, not too little. There is also a forum (like this one) and good support in terms of info, parts, and advice.

O'days were made for many years in Fall River MA, and they had a reputation for high quality.

An older one would make a nice project if you're into that kind of therapy.

I've taken my kids (at the time 5 & 7 year old girls) out on my Laser, but they had to take turns. I second that a Laser is a little small.

Depending on what you want to do and the types of boats in your neck of the woods, you may want to try an MC Scow. I one one of these as well. They are nice because you can single hand them, and it also has an area to take crew. I've taken both of the kiddos on my MC and they have plenty of room. Keep in mind that it's stricly an inland lake boat.

Good luck with your search...

Yeah a Laser with one kid would be great, but two would be too much. The Laser II and 420 are too unstable to use as a "family" boat.

I remember sailing a friends Boston Whaler Harpoon 4.6, many years ago with a
couple of kids it was fun and you still see them.

With a 10 year old and an 8 year old.... Personally (and this may sound excessive) I would buy a couple of Optimists for the kids and a Laser for yourself.

The Opti's are Fantastic easy to sail training boats for the kids, sorta the same as a laser as well. Normally strongly represented at most clubs and best of all cheap. This is true in Australia and NZ anyway.

Thanks for all the responses. I'm still considering all the options but I definetly agree that the laser would be too small for an adult and two children. I looked closer at one last week and that became obvious..right away.

Thank you again!

I will second Bungo Pete's suggestion of an Oday Daysailer or one of the several cousins (Javelin, Ospray, Widgeon). I have a '65 Ospray (15+ ft - slightly shorter than the Daysailer and far fewer built), and my wife, daughter and myself have a great time in it. The foredeck is big enough for them to recline on while I get to mess with all those ropes and sticks.;) For a dinghy it is surprisingly stable. I even single hand it on occasion.

New sails can be ordered from a host of online sail shops. Most of the other parts are standard enough to find on line or at boat shops. My hull was stored outside uncovered for years. The hull could use a new paint job but is sound and very sailable.

In fact my Oday is so functional and family friendly that I bought my '74 Laser for a project boat and eventually so I can sail around without feeling the need to share the tiller.

And if you would rather buy something in this century there is a wide variety of newer daysailer/dinghies. Even some used for not too much money. Check craigslist. That's how I found my Laser, and I still browse around and see a wide assortment of fun looking sail boats.

Best luck in doctrinating the kids...

Back