question about booms -- what is this??

digitalmaddog

just a little history on the sunfish -- bought it about 2 mabe 3 yeas ago minus the booms and sail -- i got the mast the boat ( pretty good condition few pounds heavy) dagger and rudder all for 100 bucks ( no trailer ) it needs some love been working on and off sanding taking parts off ( no i cant find them)

few week ago i came across the mast sail and booms for 100 bucks -- i scooped it up quick

i need new lines hard ware and knick knacks and a good paint job and she will be ready!!!

i still have the splash guard ( need to fill all the holes and re-attach)

take a look at the photo bot the booms are the same length but the upper boom has an added tube to make it longer ( did i buy a minifish set up ) and the person added the extra tube to make it work for a sunfish

any help would be great

thanks

chad

Attachments

• IMG_6299.jpg
    IMG_6299.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_6297.jpg
    IMG_6297.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 75
take a look at the photo ... both the booms are the same length but the upper boom has an added tube to make it longer ( did i buy a minifish set up )
The sail is from a Sears/Snark Jet Wind, spars I can't say, homemade maybe. Are they aluminum? In the photo they look like a galvanized steel chain-link fence top rail jugding by appearance and that joint.

Wayne

thanks for the heads up about the sail -- i got to looking into the sears unit !!! looks almost identical other than the rear block is at the very rear of the boom ( will this cause a problem ??)

or flip the sail put the extra tube at the bottom and sail with it like that ??

both booms are aluminum even the extra tube ( no chainlink fence here!!)

what about the height of the sail and boom assembly does it look to high off the top of the boat will i run into problems -- i was going to try to move the halyard up higher on the upper boom -- maybe that will lower the complete assembly down a bit

ill keep plugging away and see what i can do!!!

i still have to find the rest of my parts that i took off the boat over a year ago and install the 2 inspection ports ill post more over the weekend!!!

Chad

i got to looking into the sears unit !!! looks almost identical other than the rear block is at the very rear of the boom ( will this cause a problem ??)
The rear block is most efficient located right over the bridle with the boom amidships. Further astern will require a longer mainsheet.

or flip the sail put the extra tube at the bottom and sail with it like that ??
I'd be inclined to leave the joint in the upper spar. That spar does get more wind stress so keep an eye on it and if it looks shakey swap position with the boom.

both booms are aluminum even the extra tube ( no chainlink fence here!!)
This is good news. Can't tell what those tubes were originally from then.

what about the height of the sail and boom assembly
Boom height is partly efficiency, partly subjective. The higher the boom the less ducking, but the more wind leverage you fight with hiking out.

i was going to try to move the halyard up higher on the upper boom
You do not want the halyard tied in above that joint in the spar. If moving the sail lower places the hitch on that extension, swapping the two spars becomes a no-brainer.

You can rig up according to the current setup manual. Just read between the lines where you find differences with the year boat you have.
http://www.laserperformance.com/main/images/stories/pdfs/Sunfish/Sunfish(US).pdf

Attachments

• JW.jpg
    JW.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 41

Back