Quest for the Phantom rudder

Discussion in 'Sunfish Talk' started by Tacknturtle, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Tacknturtle

Tacknturtle New Member

Hello,
    So believe it or not but I found a Phantom 14 hull in the a trash pile outside of someone's house and of course I was inclined to take it home. The hull was in pretty decent shape and I went to my local sailor supply store and they luckily had a phantom sail and spars stashed up in the attic that I got for a steal along with a Hobie Cat rudder that I managed to make work in the mean time and a sunfish mast. I made a daggerboard in a night and was ready to sail! The Hobie rudder is a pain in the @$$ to install and uninstall and just doesn't feel completely right. I have been looking everywhere for a rudder and nothing has come up and i noticed on this forum there is a lot of people looking for a Phantom rudder, so i guess i'm another one. I have been talking to Rudder Craft and they might be able to make me one. As soon as I find out and they give me a price I'll share it on here so if anyone is looking for one in the future they will no where to go.
    So, Anyone have a spare rudder? I would rather have an original!
    Thanks for any advice.
    Marty

2. Webfoot1

Webfoot1 Active Member

If we could get someone to model the rudder bracket in Solidworks or Fusion 3D
    the data file could be sent out to be printed. The wood parts are just a weekend
    project.

3. Tacknturtle

Tacknturtle New Member

I spoke with Joel from Rudder Craft today he said he could build one but it'd cost $300-$500. He said my best bet was to get my hands on an old Laser rudder head and move the pin brackets to fit on a Phantom gudgeon bracket and make a rudder blade and tiller or get an old Laser rudder blade off ebay. Unfortunately i missed one used Laser rudder assembly for $50 by 3 hours. New heads cost $100-$120.