putting on a new tiller extension

crazysailor

just got new tiller extension and need to attach it to my old tiller. already have the universal.

sincerely
Crazy Sailor

sailor327 said:
you have a europe? how is it compared to the laser

It's very different. It looks like a mini Finn. It's 11 feet long and 100 lbs and it's pretty easy for me to move around. It has a one piece carbon mast, and each mast is made for the weight of the sailor, with more or less spring to it. The mast seems as tall as a Laser mast, and I can lift it with one hand. I bought the boat because I can leave it set up and just put the blades on it, raise the sail with a halyard, launch, and go.

It has a deeper hull with a steeper V. The boat feels tippier, but it doesn't capsize very easily. The boom is so low to the deck that when tacking, most people tack facing backward. I haven't mastered this, so when I tack, I'm pretty clumsy and on my knees. One of the cooler things about the boat is the traveller. It's in front of the mainsheet block and you adjust it with every tack. The boat can point like a dream because of the traveller, way better than a Laser. The traveller can also be used to depower. Also, the Europe is supposed to handle waves easily without all the kinetics needed for a Laser, but I haven't had much chance to play with this, being on a freshwater reservoir. The rake can be adjusted on the mast, forward or back, for light or breezy conditions.

In sum, the Europe is a much more technical boat. I haven't sailed it in a while and just writing about it makes me miss it!

it shouldn't cause i put mine on and it was a snap. all you do it pry the plate off that is at the base of the joint and slide it out then slide the new extension on and snap the plate on.

THanks thats what i thought i just wasn't sure because the cap didn't want to move and i didn't want to force it until i was sure.:D

Be aware that there are a couple of different universals and the saddles (the part that screws to the tiller itself) are different as are the end of the universal. I believe Vanguard and Acme are using the same brand now, but they weren't a few years ago, so it required changing the saddle on the tiller to get the Acme to attach.

Also, if you want to double or triple the life of the universal, you should always store the universal so it is in it's natural straight postion. This means disconnecting the extension from the tiller if you are storing both pieces in a blade bag.

Back