problems with old style rudder

pstruzzi

Any suggestions to correct the bracket from "popping" out at the bottom where the vertical bar clips into the bracket at the base of the transom??

Help!!!

Well now you know why SUnfish changed the rudder to the new style. Not much you can do besides cranking down on the wing nut. Of course then the ^#@% thing won't come out when it hits something or you beach the boat.
And to add insult to injury it'll still ride out sideways with any real weather helm requiring lot's of "rudder". I found about 12-13 knots was the maximum I could rely on the old rudder system, no matter what I did.

I have an old style rudder too and want to modify it so the bottom will not come out. Anybody has an idea how to, any photo showing how? I don't care if it is not conform to class rules, I don't race.

I replaced my old-style rudder a long time ago.... just for that reason. I had mine pop out once right in the middle of a controlled jibe in moderate to high winds. Needless to say the maneuvre suddlenly became a lot less controlled!

Anyway.... the best conversion to make is to buy a new rudder, and the bracket..... and install it with some sturdy backing plates. There's a link to the installation on the Sunfish Class web page.... somewhere... I think.

Hmmm my '74 most likely will have this old school system. Could anyone care to explain it to me in detail? Since all the hardware on my boat is off, id like to know more about it.

Thanks, Charlton

The changeover to new style rudder was effective for all 1972 boats and newer, so your '74 has the new and much better system.

For those of you with the old system, I believe you can wire the vertical bronze fitting to the bolt after you mount the rudder. This means the rudder is no longer very easy to remove, but at least it won't remove itself at high speed. There is no sophisticated fix to the old system. The only fix is switch to the new.

BB

Actually it was the 1972 MODEL year that started using the new rudder system. The 1972 boats came out in July of 1971. Just like with auto's the actual date doesn't match the model yea.

Back