Problem with auto bailer

Hi all, this is my first post here on the Laser forum.

As a way of intro, let me say I own a Laser (which I bought as a kid 34 years ago in Switzerland!) I have babied it all these years, and have phenomenal memories with it. Sailed it in all weather and in diverse places such as lake Geneva (sometimes while it was snowing!), Greece, South of France, and here in the States (California and Florida). Re-built the mast step a few years ago after it finally gave up in foul weather (funnel clouds, lightning, near gale force --all the stuff we love).

Anyway, I have a question about an auto bailer that I bought a little while back and used a just few times. When I installed it, I thought it was a bit minimal to have this device held by just one screw in the center. Especially when the plastic used for it is somewhat flexible. Sure enough the other day I went sailing and, when I brought the Laser onto the beach, the auto bailer caught sand and shells and started bending to let more sand and small pebbles in!

Is there a way to attach the auto bailer in a more sturdy way (especially at the front)? Alternatively, have people tried other types or DIY versions of auto bailers?

Thanks,

~Pierre
www.youtube.com/user/demartines

I thought it was a bit minimal to have this device held by just one screw in the center. Especially when the plastic used for it is somewhat flexible.
The Laser is a bit minimal in many ways.
I would say the bailer material is stiff enough for normal use. (Holding a spare in my hand right now.) Of course there may be different definitions for "normal".
... when I brought the Laser onto the beach, the auto bailer caught sand and shells and started bending to let more sand and small pebbles in!
Don't put the boat on the sand. A dolly is a good investment.
If it was the body of the bailer that bent, you can seal it with something like silicone around the edge (or even just
tape it flush with the bottom). At least the sand won't get in that way. If it was the chute (the moving, outward-projecting part), then just remember to close the bailer before it touches anything else than water.
Is there a way to attach the auto bailer in a more sturdy way (especially at the front)?
No.
Drilling more holes through the bottom of the boat doesn't sound like a great idea.
... have people tried other types or DIY versions of auto bailers?
I hope not.
The bailer well on a Laser, and how it's connected with the cockpit, is pretty unique. No generic bailer fits there (not even close), and trying to build yourself one that does and works is most likely wasted time and effort. Even the fake bailers on the market seem to be more or less exact copies of the real thing.

I think these bailers leave a lot to be desired when compared to something like the Elvstrom bailer, but I guess the Laser drain limits what can be designed for a bailer. I had a similar problem with mine but it was my dolly strap that caught the front edge of the bailer! When I re-installed the bailer I used 3M 4200 (if I remember correctly) to hold the front edge down then I filed and sanded the bailer so it was flush with the hull. That seemed to fix the problem for me.

Once was an install thread showing how one guy sealed up the entire edge with silicon. Unfortunately all the links to his pictures are now dead. I don't think it would do much do improve bailer drainage. However if you are going to beach your boat, it would close off one path for debris to get inside the bailer. Not prevent it completely, but lessen it.

Back