Pre-1972 Rudder

Garrett12

How much is a pre-1972 rudder, tiller, and extension worth? all in good shape all together.

Thank you!

Attachments

• 100_2955.JPG
    100_2955.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 97
For a good condition complete pre 1972 rudder assembly I would say $150-$200. But you are missing the main part that attaches this rudder to the boat so I would guess more like $100-$125. The plus is that it has the reinforced rudder head but the tiller looks a little beat up.

I agree. About $100 as-is, but if you could find the hinge plate that attaches the rudder to the deck and keel hardware and refinished the wood, you could fetch up to $200 from the right buyer. I may have the hinge plate and connecting pin you are missing and if not, I can direct you to someone else who probably has the items. You can e-mail me at: [email protected] if you are interested. The solid metal rudder head fitting is a plus as it was designed to prevent cracks to the wood rudder head at the bolt attachment point. Also the wood rudder blade is almost a clone to the more modern spade shape design, another plus.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

I believe Wayne actually operated out of one of the old style rudder systems, as he seemed to be not too adverse to them (he made some type of positive comment one time about them as being bearable for a "specific type of application" etc., like below).

The pre '72 are fine for mild lake/pond like conditions, but out in the open ocean they're absolutely brutal - they just cannot handle the surf, and either continually pop out or prematurely break. The top part blade brass chunk, or "cheek" - or whatever Ebay is calling it - was a great invention at the time and really reduced wear and subsequent destruction of that top part of the rudder blade, so that technical aspect may just add a little increased value to your parts. I went through 3-4 blades over the years, none of which had this rudder cheek, and all failed at that one hinge point of the blade. It was incredibly frustrating.

The cheek was actually around for only one single year - 1971 - right before the switch to the new system, and is rare to find out there today. Alcort was actually sending them out from Waterbury in 1971 with both new and old style rudder systems at the time.

For those out there who are married up to the old system, your parts are a great way to keep the old system and still have the flexibility to plug in new (old style) rudder blades as time sees fit - not to mention avoiding the cost and technicality of the rudder conversion kit ($450). It's amazing how many of the old style systems are still floating around out there today, as witness to the large number 40-50 year old old boats that are still sitting around unused in all the cellars out there. Even essentially 40 years after this old system was discontinued, you can always find someone who is resurrecting a 40-50 year old boat from such a the cellar, and has suddenly found out that you can't get the old parts. This occurs from Memorial Day weekend to about the first or second weekend in July every single year.

Back