Pre-1971 Rudder Parts

arniestoys

I have a Pre 1971 Sunfish (Alcourt). I'm looking for the bronze pintel pin that held the rudder assembly to the rudder plate. It was attached to the back of the hull with a short piece of chain. The chain snapped while I was removing the rudder as I was coming in off the lake. I've been looking everywhere for a replacement. HELP!!

There are many types of possible replacements other than the original pin. Do a search on this forum where I've seen many discussions. A simple aluminum rod can be adapted for one example.

Fred

These brass "toggle pins" are getting somewhat rare. A good, inexpensive substitute is a 1/4" stainless steel hex bolt with a nylon nut. Any good hardware store has them for under $2. If you are a purist and want the real thing with the brass retaining chain, post a "Wanted" ad here on the Sunfish Forum and/or contact Herb Baker ([email protected]) in Lexington, MA as he has had stash of these items in the past,

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

I use a 1/4 SS quick-release clevis pin purchased from Jamestown Distributors. Has a ring pull that I have fixed to the deck with a length of brass chain, and the quick-release means no cotter pin to fool with. Yours should be 1/4" diameter and 2.5" long. It's a difficult size to find, but worst case you can get a standard one from Mcmaster-Carr for a few dollars.

I'm a new guy on the block but an old time "Sunfisher" (1969 Alcourt). Last week I sent in my first request for information in regard to replacing a lost Rudder Pin for the old style(Pre-1971) Rudder. Well, what do you know? I found a solution that's better than the original. I bought up 50 units which I can make available @ 9.95 each.

If anyone is interested, lert me know and I'll send a picture of the unit attached to my boat. I took the "fish" out yesterday and it works great! It's all S/S (even the lanyard), which sure beats the old "key chain" connection. Anybody interested??

Hello Mr. Spraggini,

If you would send me your e-mail address, I'd be happy to send you a picture and contact information.

Arnold Schwartz

I'm a new guy on the block but an old time "Sunfisher" (1969 Alcourt). Last week I sent in my first request for information in regard to replacing a lost Rudder Pin for the old style(Pre-1971) Rudder. Well, what do you know? I found a solution that's better than the original. I bought up 50 units which I can make available @ 9.95 each.quote]

Can you email me with a picture? see my profile or send to [email protected].
Thanks,
John

Back