Play in centerboard trunk

KYLaser

Tyler
My boat is 22 years old and raced just about every sunday durring the season here in KY.

It seems to have some play from side to side in the centerboard trunk area. Is there a class legal way to tighten this up?

From what I can tell, it does possibly reduce my pointability.

Also, I do not know if this has anything to do with it, but many times the centerboard doesn not want to stay fully down. This may be a result of the angle of the shock cord.

thanks.

Both are common problems. You can not "shim" the board slot, (class legally anyway) for a better fitting board.

Sometimes my board will slide up a couple of inches too. I'll just use my foot to kick it back down or if it is blowing hard I don't worry too much about it.

so is there anything I can do?

If this has become a common problem, shouldn't there be a legal way to fix it?

Renew the friction pad at rear end of case and adjust so that plate just goes up and down ok. You can also do this-
Rule 14(d) One layer of general purpose self adhesive plastic
tape (includes duct and gaffer tape) of maximum
2mm thickness and of a maximum size of 30mm
x 30mm may be applied at the top front corner of
the centreboard case.

I found some thick 2 sided sticky tape and left the backing on one side.
That may stop the sideways slop.​

that would help to keep the board up or down, but I don't think it would help with the side to side motion of the trunk.

Keep your friction pad in good condition.

If its popping up slacken your elastic (it pulls the board away from the friction pad allowing it to rise, bad upwind, good downwind)

Other than that, all lasers have lots of movement in the centreboard case so you are not at a disadvantage to anyone else.

Back