PickUp Transporting/Hopefully Not Flogging A Horse

Swede

Hello: Not an owner at this stage, but seriously considering finding a used boat. I saw a couple of threads on transporting via pick up truck and it seemed everyone owned a Chevy S10.....is there any difference in what has to be done using a full sized (8 foot bed) Chevy? A cradle will need to be constructed, understood. With the gate down it is 10 foot, so theoretically only about 4 or 4 1/2 feet will extend out the rear....strap done well, tie on a red flag and would any additional lights even be required? I think I would construct it to be keel side down, myself. As a newbie, I would be trying to avoid the trailer and expensive purpose built dolly aids at this time, until a ruptured disc made me think twice! Without a dolly...how would one launch a SF at a boat ramp....slide it out off the tailgate in cradle (hoping not to crack all up on the ground), unstrap and with help (aahh, my wife) gingerly carry to the launch? Does anyone do this ? Thanks for any help...I haven't been on a Sunfish in 20 years so it is all new to me. John :confused:

I use a Seitech dolly on a homemade rack for my S-10. Before MY ruptured disc and two subsequent spine surgeries, plates, screws etc., I put my Sunfish (my old heavy, scratched up Sunfish) into the back of my pick up using two rolled up carpets to support the hull. I just lifted the stern onto the tail gate then picked up the bow and shoved it in. At boat launches, I just backed up to the water and did the reverse right into the water. If you go this route, make a block for the gudgeon by cutting a 4x4 piece of wood to fit between the brackets. Drill a hole where the pintle would go and slide a 5/16" bolt through to hold it in place. This will protect the brackets as well as the back of your truck.

If you're not into lifting, perhaps a "ramp" made from 3"-4" 10 foot long PVC pipe would work to slide it up into the bed.

Happy Sailing.

Back