Picking up on shifts

crazyuncle

I've been reading some books recently all of which emphasise watching the jib luff lift to detect a wind shift.
What are you looking at in a Laser to pick up on a shift?

Heres a few

telltales on the luff
heading angle relative to other boats near by
land referance (if within sight)
compass heading (if sailing with one)
wind on the water (when it showing as a puff or gust)

One of the tricky parts is deciding when it's a velocity shift vs an actual shift...

Generally, when I notice everybody is way way way in front of me I say to myself, "Self? There must have been a shift."

yeah right

personally i have started to pick them up just from experiance and it seems to be a skill that you develop not necessarily learn

49208 said:
Heres a few

telltales on the luff
heading angle relative to other boats near by
land referance (if within sight)
compass heading (if sailing with one)
wind on the water (when it showing as a puff or gust)

One of the tricky parts is deciding when it's a velocity shift vs an actual shift...

How close to the luff do you have your telltale, and how far up? What exactly are you looking for the telltale to do?

Mine are somewhere between 10 and 14" back from the back edge of the luff tube, I have two sets, slightly staggered fore/aft. Located in the first panel up from the foot.

If the leeward telltale was streaming aft and then starts to dance, it's indicating a lift. If the windward telltale was streaming aft and starts to dance up, it's indicating a header.. (assuming your course hasn't changed)

One of my favorite "wind vanes" is the set of flags on the finish line committee boat. The decision to approach from the left or right made with information derived from those flags can often gain the observer an inside track for the final shift.

crazyuncle said:
Where have you got yours? What are you looking for?

The changes are subtle. You will look for a closing of the angle (a knock) or a widenning of the angle (a lift). The angle is between the tip of the wind vane and your boats centre line.

You then steer accordingly, bear away for a knock (and tack if it lasts longer than 5 seconds) or up in a lift.

It takes a lot of practice to do this confidently and smoothly though. Good luck.

Back