PFD's, Life Jackets

Glen

I need a new life jacket.
Does anyone have any imput?
I have seen all the extrasport models.
I am looking for an unusuall life jacket that has a good size pocket that can fit a few energy bars, but is very slim, light, minimal buckles/clips.
Please reply if you have ANY imput at all.
Thanks

I've got the extrasport pfd, I like it. Decent pocket but you might want to get a back for your inspection port since if you have to climb back in the boat you might end up crushing your bars.

My husband and I have MTI Adventurewear life jackets. There are different models. They are for kayakers and canoeists so there's plenty of room to move your arms, and they have 2 good sized pockets.

Merrily

I agree with snipeguy..the one I hope to find under the tree this year is a Salus (Very high on the list if any of my family is reading this forum:eek:)

As far as i'm concerned, as long as the lifejaket is comfortable, it's fine.
If you're looking for not alot of things to get caught on, think about a life jacket that is a zip-up or even slip-on instead of buckles. Also, make sure there isn't much life jacket material up by the back of your head, so that it won't get caught on things and drag you overboard. Other than that, find which ever one you like best. I have some mci-adventure-something-something-something jacket and it works just fine. (Zips up the front, 2 side adjusting straps per side, and low neck in the back so it won't get caught on anything.) Even gives an authentic life-jacket tan!

Keep the replys coming.
ANY information will be helpfull. REPLY PLEASE
I NEED A PFD!!!!

computeroman2 said:
As far as i'm concerned, as long as the lifejaket is comfortable, it's fine.
If you're looking for not alot of things to get caught on, think about a life jacket that is a zip-up or even slip-on instead of buckles. Also, make sure there isn't much life jacket material up by the back of your head, so that it won't get caught on things and drag you overboard. Other than that, find which ever one you like best. I have some mci-adventure-something-something-something jacket and it works just fine. (Zips up the front, 2 side adjusting straps per side, and low neck in the back so it won't get caught on anything.) Even gives an authentic life-jacket tan!
mine isa lmost exactly the same and i have to say i am proud of my lifejacket tan. and its weird because if any non l;aser sailor sees it the woned how i get such a weird tan.

Here's a link to the NRS website page for life jackets. NRS caters to paddlers, but much of what they sell can also be used sailing. I recently got a 10' Euro Cyphur kayak for river/bayou use and have worn moy Lotus Lola in it and it works ok, though it tends to ride up when I am in the kayak. For sailing, the Lola is great, though if I were buying again, I'd probably go with the Lolita or Sherman since it has a much smaller profile and probably would double for both sailing and yaking better.
http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product_list.asp?deptid=951

Merrily said:
My husband and I have MTI Adventurewear life jackets. There are different models. They are for kayakers and canoeists so there's plenty of room to move your arms, and they have 2 good sized pockets.

Merrily

I have the bottom-of-the-line MTI paddler's PFD. Its look screams out "el cheapo" but it is in fact really comfortable and nonrestrictive, and doesn't snag on the boom or anything

I'll recommend a Salus to you. I used one all season this year and haven't had any problems with it. It's by far the most comfortable one I've ever worn, and it has a front pocket that fits a few bars/knife/extra line, whatever you need. They are quite expensive ($139.99CAD + tax), but mine has proven to be one of the best things I've bought. I've never had it snag on anything, mainly because it has such a low profile. It also has comfortable fabric around the neck and stomach areas to avoid chaffing. Plus, you get to sport a nice Canadian flag :cool:

Two thumbs up for Salus (Go Canada go)!

I have a regular fishing life jacket that's cheap but pretty comfortable, it snags on the boom (behind my head) which is a drag. A few people in my club wear lycra or spandex shirts over their life jackets which keeps them from snagging.

I have loved my Lotus lifejacket.

I just got in my first Magic Marine lifejackets, and it has that slim pocket in the front. Fit me really well, and can come with an optional camelback sports drink pack. Pretty cool as long as it doesn't violate any NOR about weight wearing :)

Thanks everyone.
I used to wear rash guards over the top of my life jacket, i highly recomend them. They make you go faster.

I finnaly decided on the extrasport Stilleto.
The stilleto is great, its slim and has a huge pocket in the front.

I wanted to buy a crewsaver/henrry lloyd one but US sailing requires a US coast guard aproaved life jacket-B.S.
If its good in one country its obviously good in another.

I seriously doubt anyone would challenge your life jacket but the extrasport one is great anyways.

i think the camel back does violate the rules because at a clinic lately with doug hart and he said it violates the rules of weight wearing after he saw someone go out wering one.

yeah, I'm sure it breaks that rule, even though it holds like 1qt.

I really liked the fit, and it's also not USCG certified. If you're going to get thrown out for wearing 'weight' might as well not be CG certified either ! :D

seriously, it's super comfy, and yet, most people will shy away from it (including me) ....*shrug*

WestCoast said:
I have loved my Lotus lifejacket.
I just got in my first Magic Marine lifejackets, and it has that slim pocket in the front. Fit me really well, and can come with an optional camelback sports drink pack. Pretty cool as long as it doesn't violate any NOR about weight wearing :)

Its actually an ISAF rule against "camel backs" regardless what the NOR allows or not. The interesting thing about US Coast Guard approved jackets vs Non, most larger events (Nat'ls, NAs, Worlds, OCR) don't specify US Coast Guard approved vest because of international participation..Junior Events however always state USCG approved....

if you're going to break some of the rules, might as well break ALL the rules huh?

it's so damn comfy too, what a shame

Actually I just found out the camel back on the MM jacket doesn't break the rule as its less then 1 liter...definately a sweet option to have and better then a 1 liter bottle rattling around in your cockpit...

Back