Painting a centreboard

terraslaser

hey, i was woundering what other laser sailers are using to paint there centreboards. i have a quite old one and can't afford a new one. so if any of you can give any tips, i would be very greatful!!

Krylon - cheap and easy to spray on, pretty hard finish

2 Part urathane or 2 part epoxy - expensive, hard to apply for the average user, very hard finish

Fill all nicks and gouges before painting, sand with 220 grit and then wipe with thinner or acetone, followed by tack rag and paint away

terraslaser said:
hey, i was woundering what other laser sailers are using to paint there centreboards. i have a quite old one and can't afford a new one. so if any of you can give any tips, i would be very greatful!!

The instructions for my new rudder (the same instructions for centerboards) say to use aerosol paints, so the krylon's a good choice. Also fill dents and scratches with "a polyester filler of the type used for auto body repairs." Fill cracks with epoxy glue. Make sure you maintain the original contours with sanding.

Also, take it from me, make sure you have the centerboard well attached with shock chord when you go sailing. ;)

Janet

Hello Terran,
You should be able to find it at just about any Auto Parts store or at a Hardware store, Hobby stores will also carry it I suspect. Good luck and happy painting.
Fishingmickey
150087/181157

Hi again,
One more thing paint your boards in light coats, start and stop your spray off of your work, keep the spray tip about 8" - 10" inches off of your work allow about 15-20 minutes of drying time between "light coats" until your have the finish you desire. Go too fast and you'll get the runs. There I'm done :).
Fishingmickey
150087/181157

Back