Outside Eyes!

Discussion in 'The Dockhouse' started by Mawill, May 8, 2007.

1. Mawill

Mawill New Member

Wavedancer hit it right on the head:

In my club of about 30 Lasers, not more than a few read this forum and very few ever contribute.

That is 29 people that are not contributing their experiences, their knowledge to the Forum. Does no one find this to be a problem or a concern?

Chainsaw - the response to the Old Finn Sailor you refer to was from me! Left Field replies in my mind are still in play and useful - it is the off topic ranting and personal stuff that bugs me.

Anyway, one last time - I am not asking that we not discuss things or have opinions - simply be mindful of one and other and be nice to the new folks. If that is Lovey Dovey and Hearts and Sprinkles, then so be it - Sad Day say I. I will continue to consider it the normal way of communicating.

Must get back in the Cube.:D

Matt

2. Ross B

Ross B Guest

MaWill, some words of advise

STAY AWAY FROM SAILING ANARCHY!!!!

you wont like it, people have been killed for less there than what goes on here, this is kids stuff for them

3. Merrily

Merrily Administrator Staff Member

That's the point. This is supposed to be "kid's stuff." I refer you to post number 24 by Bradley Green, in this thread http://www.laserforum.org/showthread.php?p=15035&highlight=enviroment#post15035

4. Ross B

Ross B Guest

he didn't say anything bout kids, he was just talking about sailors of all levels

and I don't think anyone under 12 sails Lasers, if they do, they must be huge!!!!

and most kids by the time they hit ten have already seen 3 seasons of South Park, so Sailing Anarchy is pretty tame

5. Chainsaw

Chainsaw Brmmm Brmmm

not personally no.

Lets face facts. If I wasn't here yapping about something, someone else would be yapping about pretty much the same thing in my place.

The common misconception by proponents of moderated forums is that there are thousands of people out there being forced to withold their opinion because people like us are talking.

Time and again I have seen this to be wrong. One group are banned or leave, and another group of similar size take their place.

If for example Ross was banned :D, do you honestly believe hundreds of new members would join up and start chittering away because they would no longer be forced to read his ideas regarding rule changes?

On the other hand, if Merrily was banned, would hundreds of SA members join up here and start chittering away like angry gibbons?

Both cases are unlikely. Growing communities on the internet is as complex as in the real world and under just as many apparently unknown influences.

6. Ross B

Ross B Guest

no!

"On the other hand, if Merrily was banned, would hundreds of SA members join up here and start chittering away like angry gibbons?"

we can only hope so!!! bring some life into this inbred pit! lol jk

7. Deimos

Deimos Member

In many aspects of life there is a balance. Ask a group of people a question and you will get a range of responses (both the detail and the manner). That is life. Within the constraints of good manners people need to appreciate that. As somebody said, always think that a 12 year old might be reading the responses. Also bear in mind that a 12 year old might me making the posts (and 12 yr olds are not always as "mature" in expressing themselves). For example, my own mental age has only just passed 14 years (unfortunately my chronological age is somewhat older).

However, one aspect that this thread does raise (and thus my post is "on-topic") it that of threads going "off-topic". I have seen several (non sailing) forums die completely due to an excessive insistence that threads stay strictly "on-topic". What starts to happen is that two groups of people emerge - those who have questions and those who have answers. After a bit of "stay on-topic" nagging, those who have answers get bored and post less, meaning fewer answers, so people ask fewer questions so activity slows, etc.

What often happens is that somebody asks a question, which the next couple of posts tend to answer. Related subjects then emerge and start to be discussed - until somebody comes along and does the "stay on-topic" post. I'm not suggesting a free for all, but a sensible balance is needed and more recently this forum has not quite got the sensible balance - too much of the "stay on-topic".

Actually the related discussions in a thread can be where the really interesting and useful aspects start to emerge. Kill that and you will kill the forum (see it before).

Ian

8. Ross B

Ross B Guest

word

nobody likes the "stay on topic nazi"

if you just keep it with reason, its all good

but going from downhauls to 747's to Hitler's post death influence on the Cuban Missile Crisis is just ridiculous, and we should avoid that

9. Mawill

Mawill New Member

Chainsaw,

I agree with what you say regarding on-line communities. But - to a large extent, the growth of an online community is based on the experience that 'new' people get when they visit. SA is a great example - I go there when I want to be entertained by mostly off the wall, out of bounds, and entertaining comments made by people with a common interest - Sailing. That is what SA is all about - as advertised. So what experience are we, as a community, trying to set up here? At the moment, we send some pretty mixed messages - IMO - there I go having another one!

I just find it really hard to understand why the idea of 'being mindful of one and other and being nice to newbies' is such a contentious issue. I have never advocated for a moderated forum, I was hoping for a self-moderated one.

I am off today as my wife is about to give birth to my new crew!

Matt

10. sk8ingsailor

sk8ingsailor Member

11. alienzero

alienzero New Member

Speaking as an off-and-on lurker for the past two and a half years, I would say that yes, the signal-to-noise ratio has drifted a bit toward the noise side in the last few months. I also agree that this change in tone might scare away some newcomers.

What (if anything) should be done about it? Well, between the thoughtful comments in this thread and the work that is starting to be done on the wiki, I think we are on the right track to shift things a bit more in the friendlier direction. :)

12. Chainsaw

Chainsaw Brmmm Brmmm

You're not wrong there. Your stats show the last time you posted was 20th January 2005, then four posts in the last 2 days.

So why did you lurk? You can't be afraid of people like me that chatter. This thread could possibly labelled contentious, yet here you are, talking like an ab/normal individual - not a horrified lurker. There must be many reasons people choose not to post.

Lastly, how did you manage to get a red sail?

(Off topic! :eek: Call out the guard! Won't someone please call the internet police?!)

13. Chainsaw

Chainsaw Brmmm Brmmm

I agree that it does influence contributors, though whether it largely influences them is hard to say.

As others have said, if newbies are regularly attacked, only the harder types would contribute. But also if we strangle the sound of expressive types with calls for bannings, off topic, and general brow beating, the forum would loose them too.

Both groups have something to say. It's a careful balance.

Like sailing, the best performance is mostly found on the knife's edge. That we are even having this discussion may mean we are on the knife's edge now.

The pattern I see on forums is that people stop posting, or membership stops growing, then without any thought or research the reaction is that some single person or smallish group of people are to blame. The forum then seperates into two groups, those that support being nice and those that wish to be themselves.

The idea that if people were pleasent all the time, more people would join up is an assumption similar to a stereotype. It may contain some truth, but I do not believe it is the whole truth.

Neither group can grow the community by itself.

Again, like sailing, sometimes you have to put the theory aside and just go and do it, and things look very different on the water.

I think now I am just re hashing what I've already said in a little more depth. I understand your position.

Excellent news! Good work!

Off topic! call out the guard! :eek:

14. bobbyh

bobbyh Member

Re: upwind, light sailor

Eat more, do less.

15. Ross B

Ross B Guest

180 pounds girls aint pretty my boy

ever heard the phrase "Lesbian Radial Sailor"?

*doesn't apply to you briscoe

16. Merrily

The Laser Forum is friendly to people of all sexual orientations.

17. Merrily

I think the it is unlikely that I will be banned. If you will recall, I used to be moderator here, and I resigned due to time constraints. Bradley appreciated the positions I took then as moderator, and he still finds them satisfactory now. I know this because he periodically asks me to return as moderator.

The goals of The Laser Forum:

To provide information about all aspects of Laser sailing.

To be entertaining.

To be child friendly.

To be a place that even the timid feel free to post--no flaming.

The Laser Forum is not Sailing Anarchy, nor does Bradley or the majority want it to be. Civility is the watchword here.

18. Looper

Looper New Member

>>ever heard the phrase "Lesbian Radial Sailor"?

>>The Laser Forum is friendly to people of all sexual orientations.

Especially if we get to watch!

Just kidding - no offence.

I salute the egalitarian spirit of the forum. There was a guy in Sudan who was forced to marry a goat after being caught in a compromising situation. I reckon he would still be be borderline.

19. Ross B

Ross B Guest

its an inside joke.....

some of the people here from SA know about it

relax

20. Chainsaw

Chainsaw Brmmm Brmmm

The laser froum is friendly to all kinds of ice cream salesmen, nocturnal rodents and small marine bivalves.

Just thought I'd clear that up.