Outhauls

iain_CAN165061

People put a block on their clue, no? why not one at the outhaul fairlead. it is legal, isnt it? the fairlead adds sooo much friction, smack on a block!

no its not legal

there has to be a moving control line through the fairlead

BUT if you have a look at drLaser, in the maintanence and fitness section there is a few good tips. ILCA members only article though

3.(f) ii. | the outhaul control line shall be tied to either end of the boom, the outhaul fairlead, the sail, or a quick release system, and shall pass at least once through the boon outhaul fairlead.

It says nothing about moving.... i know it says you cant do nehting but the rules state. but adding the word 'moving' would alter 3fii soooo much. i think its legal what im going. the block it on the line,

i put the line once through the fairlead and then the second time for a boline, so thats once through and tied off the the fairlead. so thats 3fii off the hook. then in the boline tied to the fairlead, i add a block into it. then i go through the clue-block, back to the fairlead the block and for to the other stuff.

does that makes sence?

This sounds illegal.

From your tie-off to your cleat(deck or boom) is the control line. Some point in between must pass through the fairlead. It sounds like your adding a block to your tie off, and counting the knot that is the tie off as passing through the fairlead.

If you had a diagram this would be easier.

heres your diagram, white is the clue of the sail; light grey is, of cource, the boom; the blue is the fairlead; the faded looking blue are blocks; and the black is the control line, the red is also the control line, but it is the part that completes the "pass through the fairlead" part. so when its in use, the red part would b tight against the fairlead...

any questions? feel free to ask.

iain

Attachments

• outhaul.jpg
    outhaul.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 90
the rules dont state anything about a moving control line BUT the ILCA interpretations do, thats why it is illegal.

in your system there is no control line moving through the fairlead

Like Murphs already described, go and read the report about "drLasers Outhaul" in the chapter "New Rigging" at "Maintenance and Fittness"-"Section-Menue" at 3w_drlaser_org.
The interpretations (12/2003-is the current version of this very unproffessional-ambigious text) of the rules allow "a" block direct attach the to the outhaul-fairlead but the controlline has also to be a moving line there. You understans better whats the secret of this if you studied the text above Murphs and I talk about. :)

If your red line is complete part from the blue line (I mean here your red line doesen´t should be a sperate line) and it (the blue control line) would be moving in the fairlead it would be legal. Your line is a separate line and your blue (control line) is not going thru the fairlead; so Murphs is right, your solution is not legal, I also think, Sorry.
Bye-bye
LooserLu

yes, the red line and the black line are the same line, i just used red to show make either stand out, also so that you can be more specific with your answers. but if you moved the block to the red, than with tension, the bock would shift. and thus the line would be moving through the fairlead....

you'll hav to excuse the diagrams. they are difficoult.

just basicaly, you start by threading the control line, or cl, through the fairlead, then thread it rhtough a block, thenback through the fairlead (goign the opposite direction then the first threading through). then tie a bowline cinnecting the end to the free line... go through the clue block, then the fairlead block, and away we go...

Attachments

• iain2.bmp
    333 KB · Views: 83
  • iain.bmp
    111 KB · Views: 81
having a line move slightly when tension is put upon it isnt movement....

im certain your system is not legal

i never have an issue with it only in really light air and then i just dont use the purchis system. if you really want miclube it or somethin.

"the outhaul control line shall be tied to either end of the boom, the outhaul fairlead, the sail, or a quick release system, AND shall pass at least once through the boom outhaul fairlead."

If I understand correctly, you must tie the outhaul control line to one of the above locations, or use a quick release system. After which the line must pass through the fairlead. If you choose to tie it to the fairlead this does not count as having passed through it, because of the usage of the word "AND".

Sorry Iain, I guess this means your idea would not be legal. I really don't see the problem with using the fairlead, the friction is not that bad, especially after it has worn it a bit. If you have a problem move to a thiner line.

you dont need to subscribe to drLaser, you just need to be an ILCA member (which i see you are planning on doing).

drLaser has a few ways to get past your problem, thats all im really allowed to say without giving away intellectual property.

I just have a few more questions about the outhaul rules & regs. What are the guidelines on the blocks located at the gooseneck (i.e. # of blocks, # of shieves on the blocks, # of lines to secure the block(s), etc).

Also, in the picture attached to this email, is the assortment at the end of the boom, the way the outhaul is attached to the aft end of the boom legal? (for those who cant make out the picture, it goes through the eye, through the clew block and then tied around the boom rather then the eye)
thankyou very much,

Attachments

• Outhaul4-1A.gif
    Outhaul4-1A.gif
    4.4 KB · Views: 84
iain_CAN165061 said:
I just have a few more questions about the outhaul rules & regs. What are the guidelines on the blocks located at the gooseneck (i.e. # of blocks, # of shieves on the blocks, # of lines to secure the block(s), etc).

Also, in the picture attached to this email, is the assortment at the end of the boom, the way the outhaul is attached to the aft end of the boom legal? (for those who cant make out the picture, it goes through the eye, through the clew block and then tied around the boom rather then the eye)
thankyou very much,
They attempted to clean up the rules on the outhaul back in Nov of '03. It's now clear that you can have two blocks at the gooseneck area, tied on with a line that does not have to count towards the two that make up the control lines for the outhaul.

It's still a little murky if double sheaves in a single block can be used. Most racers in North America are using two single sheave blocks at the gooseneck. You can tie them so they are staggered, ie the upper rides in line with the boom, the lower is below the boom (but within the 100mm distance from the gooesneck bolt specified by the rules)

Not sure why you would want to tie off the end of the outhaul around the boom as opposed to the clew eye on the end of the boom, but it is legal as shown in the diagram. (if the intent is to prevent the boom block eyestrap from pulling out, it's stronger to thru bolt the boom eye strap and the clew eye strap with one long bolt/nut combo)

its to reduce friction, to have only one line going through teh eye. how many lines are you allowed at the gooseneck to tie the blocks... 1 er 2

Back