Outhaul setup - long post...

pez

k...

Not sure if this is the place to post this, but... I rig my outhaul this way... I think I am using the right terminology....

1. Tie off at outhaul fairlead
2. Run through clew grommet in sail
3. run back through the outhaul fairlead
4. run through the outhaul cleat
5. Tie bowline with a 1" loop (foreward of cleat, at max ease for outhaul)
6. run working end of line around mast
7. tie second bowline approx. 12" behind the mast
8. run working end to first bowline (see #5)
9. run working end to second bowline (see #7)
10. Tie loop in remaining line for pull handle

keep in mind I have a 71-73 Laser, and all fittings and such are original. Anyopne do it differently with an older setup? I like this setup but the outhaul is somewhat hard to ease... the two additional purchases make it easier to tighten the outhaul, but I hate the time and effort it takes to rig the outhaul, plus it requires a lot more line...

Seems about right for a 2 (?) purchase outhault setup.

It works alot better if you have those metal eyes that keep the loop shape in the line and also have less friction that rope on rope.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Yep, that sounds right. You can also get a hook or shackle to attach the line to the sail (saves rigging time).... and don't forget a clew tie down or strap.

I use what is basically an updated version of this system. Instead of just using rope loops on the forward bit, I've put some very small plain bearing blocks in the same places. Instead of going around the mast, I have another small block, which I lash to the mast at the gooseneck with about 24" of string. Lastly, I have shock cord running from the block right next to the cleat, back to the clew of the sail. This not only works as an inhaul in light winds, but also stops the loose line from dangling down and catching on the 'board when its a big day for gybing!

Rigging is quick and simple.... (leave it all threaded up except the end bit, and the block at the mast).....simply loop the shocky over the end of the boom, thread up the cleat, fairlead, and clew bits, flick the shocky off the boom end so its around the lines at the clew instead, tie the floating block to the mast, and you're done. takes longer to read it than to do it!

I've checked, and this is all perfectly legal, it gives a 6:1 purchase,and has 5 turning points.

In my experience its really easy to use, I've just won our local spring series with it! 1-1-1-1-2-1!(luckily the bad results were all discarded! lol) Just remember to luff slightly before you ease it tho, or you might swim :-D

Back